21 January 1917
Oldham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
|Died||18 July 1984
London, England, UK
Kathleen "Lally" Bowers (21 January 1917 – 18 July 1984) was an English actress.
Bowers was born in Oldham, Lancashire, where she was educated at Hulme Grammar School. She worked as a secretary before walking-on and understudying at the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. As a professional actress Bowers appeared in hundreds of stage productions, films and television programmes and rep at Manchester, Sheffield, Southport, Guildford, Liverpool, Birmingham and the Bristol Old Vic.
Her London debut came in 1944 and her many West End successes included Dinner With the Family for which she won a Clarence Derwent award in 1957, Difference of Opinion, The Killing of Sister George, Dear Octopus and The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B. She appeared in the sitcoms You're Only Young Twice, Going Straight, Hi-De-Hi, My Name is Harry Worth and A Fine Romance, and her film career included roles in We Joined the Navy (1962), Tamahine (1963), The Chalk Garden (1964), I Start Counting (1970), All the Way Up (1970), Up Pompeii (1971), Our Miss Fred (1972), Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972), The Slipper and the Rose (1976) and Screamtime (1983). She also appeared in the 1982 adaptation of Agatha Christie's "The Case of The Discontented Soldier" in the role of Mrs. Ariadne Oliver, in the television series The Agatha Christie Hour.
Bowers died on 18 July 1984 in London, aged 67.
- We Joined the Navy (1962) - Mrs. Cynthia Dewberry, his wife
- Tamahine (1963) - Mrs. Cartwright
- The Chalk Garden (1964) - Anna
- I Start Counting (1970) - Aunt Rene
- All the Way Up (1970) - Mrs. Hadfield
- Up Pompeii (1971) - Procuria
- Up the Chastity Belt (1972) - (voice)
- Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) - Matron
- Our Miss Fred (1972) - Miss Flodden
- The Slipper and the Rose (1976) - Queen
- Screamtime (1983) - Mrs. Kingsley
- Year of birth taken from Brian McFarlane (ed) The Encyclopedia of British Film, London: Methuen/BFI, 2003, p.75
|This article about an English actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|