Lambert, Hendricks & Ross
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Lambert, Hendricks & Ross|
|Origin||New York City, New York, United States|
|Labels||ABC-Paramount, Roulette, Columbia|
|Associated acts||Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan
Lambert, Hendricks and Moss
|Past members||Dave Lambert
The group formed in 1957 and recorded their first album Sing a Song of Basie for ABC-Paramount Records. The album featured versions of Count Basie standards and was successful enough that the Count Basie Orchestra collaborated with them on Sing Along With Basie (1959). Sing a Song of Basie was awarded a Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1998.
Beginning in 1959, the trio recorded three LPs with Columbia Records. They recorded a version of Ross' 1952 song "Twisted", featuring her lyrics set to a Wardell Gray melody. Their High Flying won a Grammy Award for Best Performance by a Vocal Group in 1962. Lambert, Hendricks & Ross were voted Best Vocal Group in the Down Beat Readers Poll from 1959 to 1963.
Annie Ross left the group in 1962, replaced by vocalist Yolande Bavan. The renamed Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan made three live albums before disbanding in 1964. Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan appeared at the 1962 Newport Jazz Festival, and their performance of "Comin' Home" and "Moanin'" can be seen in Buddy Bregman's film The 1962 Newport Jazz Festival.
The group was also known as Lambert, Hendricks and Moss when Canadian jazz singer Anne Marie Moss briefly replaced Annie Ross.
Any hopes of a reunion of the original trio ended with Lambert's death in a road accident in Connecticut in 1966.
Lambert, Hendricks and Ross albums
- Sing a Song of Basie (1957)
- Sing Along with Basie (Roulette, 1958) with Joe Williams and the Basie Band
- The Swingers! (1958)
- Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross! (aka "The Hottest New Group In Jazz") (1960)
- Lambert, Hendricks & Ross Sing Ellington (1960)
- The Real Ambassadors (1962)
- High Flying with Lambert, Hendricks & Ross (aka The Way-Out Voices of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross) (1962)
Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan albums
- Recorded "Live" at Basin Street East (Live, RCA Victor, 1963)
- At Newport '63 (Live, RCA Victor, 1963)
- Havin' a Ball at the Village Gate (aka Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan at the Village Gate) (Live, RCA Victor, 1964)
- "Lambert, Hendricks and Ross Study Guide & Homework Help - Reference". eNotes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Jon Hendricks « No One But Me". Noonebutme.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-09.