Lambert, Hendricks & Ross
Lambert, Hendricks & Ross
|Origin||New York City, New York, United States|
|Genres||Jazz, vocalese, vocal jazz|
|Labels||ABC-Paramount, Roulette, Columbia|
The group formed in 1957 and recorded their first album Sing a Song of Basie for ABC-Paramount Records. The album featured versions of Count Basie standards and was successful enough that the Count Basie Orchestra collaborated with them on Sing Along With Basie (1959). Sing a Song of Basie was awarded a Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1998.
Beginning in 1959, the trio recorded three LPs with Columbia Records. They recorded a version of Ross's 1952 song "Twisted", featuring her lyrics set to a Wardell Gray melody. Their High Flying album won a Grammy Award for Best Performance by a Vocal Group in 1962. Lambert, Hendricks & Ross were voted Best Vocal Group in the Down Beat Readers Poll from 1959 to 1963.
Annie Ross left the group in 1962, replaced by vocalist Yolande Bavan. The band was renamed Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan and made three live albums before disbanding in 1964. Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan appeared at the 1962 Newport Jazz Festival, and their performances of "Comin' Home" and "Moanin'" can be seen in Buddy Bregman's film The 1962 Newport Jazz Festival.
The group was also known as Lambert, Hendricks and Moss when Canadian jazz singer Anne Marie Moss briefly replaced Annie Ross.
Any hopes of a reunion of the original trio ended with Lambert's death in a road accident in Connecticut in 1966.
In 2012, No One But Me, a documentary about Annie Ross, featured contributions from Hendricks and contained footage of the duo reuniting for a performance.Former vocalist Jon Hendricks died on November 22, 2017.
- Sing a Song of Basie (ABC-Paramount, 1957)
- Sing Along with Basie (Roulette, 1958)
- The Swingers! (Pacific Jazz, 1958)
- The Hottest New Group in Jazz (Columbia, 1960)
- Lambert, Hendricks & Ross Sing Ellington (Columbia, 1961)
- High Flying with L,H&R, (Columbia, 1962)
- Recorded "Live" at Basin Street East (Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan) (RCA Victor, 1963)
- At Newport '63 (RCA Victor, 1963)
- Havin' a Ball at the Village Gate (Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan)(RCA Victor, 1964)
- Swingin' Til the Girls Come Home (Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan)(RCA Bluebird, 1964)
- Heckman, Don (November 4, 1999). "Hendricks and Ross Pursue a New Sound". Los Angeles Times.
- "Lambert, Hendricks and Ross Study Guide & Homework Help - Reference". eNotes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Jon Hendricks « No One But Me". Noonebutme.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Lambert, Hendricks & Ross | Album Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 11 December 2016.