Datu Kalun Shrine in Lamitan City
Map of Basilan with Lamitan highlighted
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|District||Lone district of Basilan|
|Cityhood||June 8, 2007|
|• Mayor||Rosita U. Furigay|
|• Total||264.45 km2 (102.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|Income class||6th class|
Lamitan, officially City of Lamitan (Chavacano: Ciudad de Lamitan), is a sixth class city in the province of Basilan, Mindanao, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 74,782 people.
The terrain is relatively plain along the coastal areas and hilly in some areas. The urban area is 2.5 meters above sea level and gently sloping to 300 meters toward the hinterlands.
The climatic condition is the same with other areas in the entire Basilan Island. It has a "D" type of climate and rainfall is evenly distributed throughout the year.
Lamitan is politically subdivided into 45 barangays.
- Campo Uno
- Kulay Bato
- Malo-ong Canal
- Malo-ong San Jose
- Santa Clara
- Tandong Ahas
- Maganda (Pob.)
- Malakas (Pob.)
- Maligaya (Pob.)
- Malinis (Pob.)
- Matatag (Pob.)
- Matibay (Pob.)
|Population Census of Lamitan|
Datu Kalun Shrine – Built as a tribute to a famous Yakan leader and founder of Lamitan. His descendants are the Antonio-Cuevas-Pamaran clan.
Museum of Lamitan – Showcases the color and highlights of the Lami-lamihan festival. It also serves as the information center for the development of this town.
Lamitan is home to one (1) state college and three (3) private colleges. The Basilan State College is an extension college of the main SUC in Isabela City. The three HEIs are the Mindanao Autonomous College, the Mariam School of Nursing and Furigay Colleges, Inc. (FCI).
The Mariam School of Nursing was established in 2004 as part of its Chairwoman's educational outreach program and was named Mariam or Mother Mary - a unifying and guiding figure among the Christians and Muslims. Also offers 11 Tesda Qualifications for National Certificates.
Lamitan City has Seven Secondary Schools: one Private Secondary School; the Claret School of Lamitan,one Laboratory School of Basilan State College and five National High Schools i.e. Lamitan National High School, Look National High School,Colony National High School,Ubit National High School and Parangbasak National High School.
There are five districts that composed of thirty nine elementary schools namely; Lamitan East District, South District,Central District, West I District and West II District. There are four private elementary schools.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 12 May 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Land Area". www.basilan.gov.ph. Province of Basilan. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Republic Act No. 9393 of 15 March 2007 Charter of the City of Lamitan
- G.R. No. 176951 et al. (First appeal) of 18 November 2008 Consolidated petitions for prohibition assailing the constitutionality of the subject Cityhood Laws and enjoining the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) and respondent municipalities from conducting plebiscites pursuant to the Cityhood Laws.
- Napallacan, Jhunex (2008-11-21). "Cities' demotion worries DepEd execs". Cebu Daily News. Inquirer.net. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- G.R. No. 176951 et al. (First reversal) of 21 December 2009
- Republic Act No. 9009 of 24 February 2001 An Act amending section 450 of Republic Act no. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991, by increasing the average annual income requirement for a municipality or cluster of barangays to be converted into a component city.
- G.R. No. 176951 et al. (Second appeal) of 15 February 2011 League of Cities of the Philippines v. COMELEC
- G.R. No. 176951 et al. (Final Resolution) of 28 June 2011 Supreme Court has directed the Clerk of Court to forthwith issue the Entry of Judgment
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lamitan City.|
- Sun Star Zamboanga : Basilan province has two cities now
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- www.abs-cbnnews.com, Fire guts Lamitan City hall in Basilan
|Sumisip||Ungkaya Pukan / Tipo-Tipo|