Lamoral, 1st Prince of Ligne
This article does not cite any sources. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Count of Ligne|
|Reign||1583 – 1601|
|Prince of Ligne|
|Reign||1583 – 1601|
19 July 1563|
Château de Belœil
|Died||6 February 1624
|Spouse||Anne-Marie de Melun|
|Issue||Yolande, Duchess of Croÿ
Florent, 1st Prince of Amblise
Anne, Marquise de Guadalest
Lambertine, Baroness de Montmartin
Ernestine Yolande, Countess of Nassau-Siegen
|House||House of Ligne|
|Father||Philippe, Count of Ligne|
|Mother||Margarethe de Lalaing|
Lamoral, Count and after 1601 first Prince de Ligne and Prince d'Épinoy, was the son of Philip, Count of Ligne (died 1583), and Marguerite de Lalaing (died 1598), daughter of Philip, Count of Hoogstraten.
In 1601 he received from Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor the hereditary title of Prince de Ligne.
As a diplomat, the first Prince de Ligne was involved in many historic events of his time. He represented Archduke Albert of Austria and Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain at the French court of Henri IV of France, in Spain and again in Paris, to congratulate King Louis XIII of France with his marriage with the daughter of Philip III of Spain. During this mission, he discussed several issues with the French political leaders.
Marriage and children
In 1584 Lamoral married Anne-Marie de Melun (died 1634), Marquise de Roubaix, daughter of Hugues II de Melun (1520–1553). They had five children:
- Yolande (1585–1611), married in 1599 to Charles Alexandre de Croÿ, Marquis d’Havré (1581–1624), son of Charles Philippe; had one daughter.
- Florent (1588–1622), Marquis de Roubaix, married in 1608 with Louise (1594–1667), daughter of Henri de Lorraine-Chaligny. They had:
- Anne (1590–1651), married Felipe Folch de Cardona; had one daughter.
- Lambertine (1593–1609), married Philibert de La Baume (1586–1610); had one daughter.
- Ernestine Yolande (1594–1668), married in 1618 to John VIII, Count of Nassau-Siegen (1583–1638); had issue.
Lamoral, 1st Prince of LigneBorn: 19 July 1563 Died: 6 February 1624
Philippe, Count of Ligne
|Count of Ligne
|Himself as Prince|
|New creation||Prince of Ligne