Parish Church of St Peter
|OS grid reference|
|• Cardiff||68.0 mi (109.4 km)|
|• London||196.0 mi (315.4 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
|Senedd Cymru – Welsh Parliament|
Lampeter Velfrey (Welsh: Llanbedr Felfre) is a community and parish in the county of Pembrokeshire, Wales, and is 68.0 miles (109.4 km) from Cardiff and 196.0 miles (315.4 km) from London. In 2011 the population of Lampeter Velfrey was 1,205 with 20.2 per cent of them able to speak Welsh. . The community includes the villages of Tavernspite and Llan-mill.
The old Medieval spelling was "Velfre"
The parish was in the former Narberth Hundred, and appeared on a 1578 parish map as Llanbeder Velfray. In the 1830s had a population of 984. Limestone was quarried locally for building and for lime. There was a parochial school in the 1800s. Local historian Geoffrey Morris was rector of Lampeter Velfrey parish until 2008 and wrote a history of the village in 2007. Archives Wales holds a number of historical papers on the village and its former inhabitants.
The parish church (Church in Wales) of St Peter is a Grade II-listed building, recorded by Cadw in 1971, and was first mentioned in records in 1291. The present church, which may have replaced earlier chapelries, dates from the 13th and 14th centuries and was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries. The bell is dated 1639 and the early Henry Jones organ 1853.
There are two Independent chapels in the village: Bryn Sion (established 1859) and Carfan (established 1804).
- "GENUKI: Lampeter Velfrey pre-1850 parish map 122". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- Felfre Bangor University Placenames Unit (Canolfan Bedwyr); Archived 12 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine accessed 9 May 2014
- Google Maps (Map).
- " Google Books website; An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Wales; accessed 9 May 2014
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Penbrok comitat". British Library.
- "GENUKI: Lampeter Velfrey". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Archives Wales: Lampeter Velfrey". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Coflein: St Peter's Church, Lampeter Velfry". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Parish of Lampeter Velfrey: St Peter". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "British Listed Buildings: Church of St. Peter". Retrieved 24 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lampeter Velfrey (community).|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lampeter Velfrey.|