|Lanark and Hamilton East|
for the House of Commons
|Subdivisions of Scotland||South Lanarkshire|
|Major settlements||Carluke, Carstairs, Hamilton, Lanark, Larkhall, Uddingston|
|Member of Parliament||Angela Crawley (SNP)|
Hamilton North & Bellshill
Lanark and Hamilton East is a county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, which was first used at the 2005 general election. It covers parts of the former Clydesdale, Hamilton North and Bellshill and Hamilton South constituencies, and it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post voting system.
Historically a safe Labour seat, in 2015 it was gained by the Scottish National Party when they won a record 56 of the 59 Scottish seats at Westminster, ending 51 years of Labour Party dominance at UK general elections in Scotland. Two years later, at the 2017 general election, the Conservatives surged into second place, only 266 votes behind sitting MP Angela Crawley, followed by Labour in third place, just 96 votes behind the Conservative candidate, making the seat Britain's tightest three-way marginal. The result also made it the tightest three-way marginal since 1945.
Further to the completion of the 2023 Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies, the seat will be subject to major boundary changes, gaining western areas of Hamilton and losing the towns of Bothwell, Uddingston and Carluke. As a consequence, the reconfigured constituency will be renamed Hamilton and Clyde Valley, to be first contested at the next general election.
The seat covers most of Hamilton and the rural area around Lanark. Electoral Calculus describes the seat as "Traditional", characterised by working class people with lower levels of income and formal education.
As created by the Fifth Review of the Boundary Commission for Scotland the constituency is one of six covering the Dumfries and Galloway council area, the Scottish Borders council area and the South Lanarkshire council area. The other five constituencies are: Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, Dumfries and Galloway, Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale, East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow, and Rutherglen and Hamilton West.
The constituency is created with the electoral wards of:
- In full: Bothwell and Uddingston, Clydesdale North, Clydesdale West, Larkhall.
- In part: Clydesdale East, Clydesdale South, Hamilton North and East, Hamilton South, Hamilton West and Earnock.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Jane Pickard||3,037||5.7||+3.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Colin Robb||1,214||2.4||+0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Gregg Cullen||1,203||2.2||-9.1|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+23.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Douglas Herbison||5,249||11.3||−7.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Fraser Grieve||8,125||18.6||+7.3|
|Scottish Socialist||Dennis Reilly||802||1.8||-1.3|
|Christian Vote||Robin Mawhinney||415||1.0||New|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Boundary Commission Scotland 2023 Review Report
- Electoral Calculus https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Lanark+and+Hamilton+East
- "UK Parliament constituencies 2005 onwards: Lanark and Hamilton East" (PDF). Boundary Commission for Scotland. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 1)
- "UK Parliamentary general election - Thursday 12 December 2019". South Lanarkshire Council. South Lanarkshire Council. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Lanark & Hamilton East parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Commons Briefing Paper 8749. General Election 2019: results and analysis" (PDF). London: House of Commons Library. 28 January 2020. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 November 2021. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Council, South Lanarkshire. "South Lanarkshire Council online information | Council and government | Elections". www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk.
- "Commons Briefing Paper 7979. General Election 2017: results and analysis" (PDF) (Second ed.). House of Commons Library. 29 January 2019 [7 April 2018]. Archived (PDF) from the original on 12 November 2019.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC News | Election 2010 | Constituency | Lanark & Hamilton East". news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.