Lanark and Hamilton East (UK Parliament constituency)
|Lanark and Hamilton East|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Lanark and Hamilton East in Scotland.
|Subdivisions of Scotland||South Lanarkshire|
|Member of parliament||Angela Crawley (SNP)|
Hamilton North & Bellshill
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
Lanark and Hamilton East is a county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, which was first used at the 2005 general election. It covers parts of the former Clydesdale, Hamilton North and Bellshill and Hamilton South constituencies, and it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post voting system.
Historically a safe Labour seat, in 2015 it was gained by the Scottish National Party when they won a record 56 of the 59 Scottish seats at Westminster. Two years later at the 2017 general election, the Conservatives surged into second place; only 266 votes behind sitting MP Angela Crawley - followed by Labour in third place with less than 100 votes behind the Conservative candidate, making the seat Scotland's tightest three-way marginal. The result also made it the tightest three-way marginal since 1945.
As created by the Fifth Review of the Boundary Commission for Scotland the constituency is one of six covering the Dumfries and Galloway council area, the Scottish Borders council area and the South Lanarkshire council area. The other five constituencies are: Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, Dumfries and Galloway, Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale, East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow and Rutherglen and Hamilton West.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Robb||1,214||2.4||+0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Gregg Cullen||1,203||2.2||-9.1|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+23.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Douglas Herbison||5,249||11.3||−7.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Fraser Grieve||8,125||18.6||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Dennis Reilly||802||1.8||N/A|
|Christian Vote||Robin Mawhinney||415||1.0||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- "UK Parliament constituencies 2005 onwards: Lanark and Hamilton East" (PDF). Boundary Commission for Scotland. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 1)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/downloads/file/9532/uk_parliamentary_general_election_results_2015 10Aug15
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - Lanark & Hamilton East
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.