Lancaster and Fleetwood (UK Parliament constituency)
|Lancaster and Fleetwood|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Lancaster and Fleetwood in Lancashire for the 2010 general election.
Location of Lancashire within England.
|Electorate||67,305 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Cat Smith (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Blackpool North and Fleetwood
Lancaster and Wyre
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
Lancaster and Fleetwood is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament. Created in the most recent fifth periodic review of constituencies by the Boundary Commission for England, it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post voting system.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Lancashire, the Boundary Commission created a new constituency involving Wyre and Preston North, for the 2010 general election, which split the previous linking of Lancaster and Wyre. As a consequence, Lancaster and the coastal town of Fleetwood have been attached for parliamentary purposes. Both the 2010 and 2015 elections were closely fought between the Conservative and Labour candidates, indicating it to be a marginal seat.
The new seat of Lancaster and Fleetwood was subject to public consultation following the decision to create a new seat in Lancashire in the run-up to the United Kingdom general election, 2010, which caused major consequential changes to the central and southern parts of the county. During the consultation process, the Wyre ward of Cabus was moved from Lancaster and Fleetwood to Wyre and Preston North.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Bulk, Castle, Duke's, Ellel, John O'Gaunt, Lower Lune Valley, Scotforth East, Scotforth West and University in the City of Lancaster
- Mount, Park, Pharos, Pilling, Preesall, Rossall, Warren and Wyresdale in the borough of Wyre
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Lancaster and Fleetwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Robin Long||1,390||3.3||−15.8|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
|General Election 2010: Lancaster and Fleetwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Stuart Langhorn||8,167||19.1||+3.5|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+4.8|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Lancashire
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
- A county constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Lancaster & Fleetwood". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Lancaster and Fleetwood, UKPollingReport