|Born||Lance Darnell Gross
July 8, 1981
Oakland, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, model, photographer|
|Spouse(s)||Rebecca Jefferson (m. 2015)|
Lance Darnell Gross (born July 8, 1981) is an American actor, model and photographer, best known for his role as Calvin Payne on the TBS sitcom Tyler Perry's House of Payne, as well as appearing in other Tyler Perry productions such as the Meet the Browns (2008) film and Tyler Perry's Temptations: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (2013). He also co-starred in 2010's Our Family Wedding alongside Forest Whitaker, Carlos Mencia, America Ferrera, and Regina King. He also starred as Secret Service Agent Marcus Finley in NBC's political drama Crisis.
Early life and career
Gross was born in Oakland, California, by a Ghanaian father and African American mother and later moved to Las Vegas, Nevada to attend and graduate from Bonanza High School. At Bonanza High School, Lance was a top athlete in football and track and field. He was always popular and even won Prom King his senior year. He went on to attend Howard University, where he passed up the opportunity of becoming a Pro Track & Field athlete in order to pursue his dream of acting. He received a Bachelor of Arts in theater and then trained at The Ivanna Chubbuck Studio as well as the Tasha Smith Acting Studio.
Gross began his career by modeling for Karl Kani and appearing in music videos for artists such as Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Kelly Rowland. In 2006, he had minor roles in Eve and The Bernie Mac Show. It was while he was performing in the Tasha Smith Acting Studio that he was discovered by Tyler Perry, who happened to be watching a night class. He was consequently cast as Calvin Payne on Perry's new sitcom House of Payne, in the show Gross plays Calvin, a young professional who has attended college for seven years. This role for which he has been awarded four NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. 2008 saw Gross make his film debut in the romantic comedy Meet the Browns. His next big screen appearance was in Our Family Wedding in 2010 alongside America Ferrera, in which they portrayed a recently engaged young couple whose wedding preparations are disrupted by their families. In 2012 he starred in the independent film The Last Fall, the story of a retired NFL player dealing with financial and family difficulties.
Gross was previously engaged to Eva Marcille. Their engagement ended in March 2010. Gross married fashion stylist Rebecca Jefferson on May 23, 2015. The couple have one daughter, Berkeley Brynn Gross (born November 20, 2014).
|2008||Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns||Michael Brown||Lead role|
|2010||Our Family Wedding||Marcus Boyd||Lead role|
|2012||The Last Fall||Kyle Bishop||Lead role|
|2013||Tyler Perry's Temptations: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor||Brice||Lead role|
|TBA||The Phenom||Lee Brooks|
|2017||When Love Kills: The Falicia Blakely Story||Dino|
|2007–2012||Tyler Perry's House of Payne||Calvin Payne||Main role|
|2012||Steel Magnolias||Sammy Desoto||TV film; Supporting role|
|2013||Dice City||Derek||Main role|
|2014||Crisis||U.S. Secret Service Agent Marcus Finley||Main role|
|2015||Grey's Anatomy||Ethan||Supporting role|
|2015–16||Sleepy Hollow||Daniel Reynolds||Main role|
|2017||Star (TV series)||Maurice Jetter, (A&R)||Recurring role|
|Television guest appearances|
|2006||Eve||Choir Member||1 episode|
|The Bernie Mac Show||Krumper #1||1 episode|
|2012||The Finder||Frank Haywood||1 episode|
|Royal Pains||Dr. London||1 episode|
- "California Birth Index, 1905-1995". Family Tree Legends. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California, USA. Archived from the original on April 21, 2014. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "Lance Gross: The Last Fall & Tyler Perry". Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "Tyler Perry's House of Payne - Lance Gross As Calvin Payne". Archived from the original on July 5, 2013. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "Biography for Lance Gross".
- "Meet The Brown's Man Of The House-Lance Gross".
- "Lance Gross Preps For Wedlock In 'Our Family Wedding".
- "Lance Gross Talks 'The Last Fall' and His Most Vulnerable Role". Archived from the original on 2013-11-15.
- "Eva Marcille and Lance Gross Break Up Exclusive". Essence.com. March 24, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Vulpo, Mike; Cooper, Jennifer (May 23, 2015). "Lance Gross Says I Do To Rebecca Jefferson". Eonline.com. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Penn, Charlie (January 11, 2015). "Lance Gross Reveals Newborn Daughter". Essence.com. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|