|Date of birth||12 July 1930|
|Place of birth||Walwa, Victoria|
|Date of death||13 March 2015(aged 84)|
|Place of death||Albury, New South Wales|
|Debut||2 June 1951, Essendon
vs. Fitzroy, at Brunswick Street Oval
|Height / weight||175 cm, 73 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1959.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
A talented wingman, Mann was recruited from the Albury Football Club.
He played his first senior match for the Essendon Football Club against Fitzroy at the Brunswick Street Oval on 2 June 1951 (round 6). He played in every match for the rest of the season. He played in Essendon's Grand Final 10.10 (70) loss to Geelong 11.15 (81), and was one of Essendon's best players.
His trainer was Pat Kennedy.
On Monday 28 January 1952, aged 21, he won the Wangaratta Gift, running off 8½ yards in 12.1 seconds. He started the final as 5-to-4-on favourite, having been a 20/1 outsider before the first heat.
On Wednesday, 16 April 1952, he also won the Bendigo Gift, running off a handicap of 1 yard in 11.8 seconds.
Mann was the first athlete to win the Wangaratta Gift, the Stawell Gift, and the Bendigo Gift treble in the same year.
On Monday, 10 March 1958, and running off 4½ yards, he ran second in the Bendigo Thousand (130 yds); the feat was all the more remarkable as Mann had broken down during his heat the year before (1957) with a thigh injury so severe that he had to be stretchered from the ground.
- Buggy, H., "'Back to the Wall' Succeeds", The Argus, (Monday, 1 October 1951), p.11.
- Heavily Backed for Stawell Gift, The Sunday Herald, (Sunday, 13 April 1952), p.10.
- Balfe, H., "Mann Takes Gift", The Argus, (Tuesday, 29 January 1952), p.10.
- Welch, "Mann Beats Team Mate in Stawell Gift Final", The Age, Tuesday, 15 April 1952), p.14.
- Superb Bendigo Win by Mann, The Age, (Thursday, 17 April 1952), p.16.
- Bendigo Thousand Finish, The Age, (Tuesday, 11 March 1958), p.18.
- Mann Injured at Bendigo, The Age, (Monday, 11 March 1957), p.16.
- Lance Mann's profile from AustralianFootball.com
- Evans, S., "Sport star survives bypass, heart attacks, transplant", The Border Mail, Monday, 12 July 2010.
- Lance Mann's statistics from AFL Tables