Lance Pendleton pitching for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
September 10, 1983 |
|April 15, 2011, for the New York Yankees|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 28, 2011, for the Houston Astros|
|Earned run average||6.75|
Pendleton was born to David and Terry Pendleton. Pendleton attended Kingwood High School from 1999 to 2002, where he played for the Kingwood Mustangs. Pendleton lead his team in both earned run average (ERA) and batting average at times.
Pendleton attended Rice University, where he played for the Rice Owls baseball team. In 2003, Pendleton was a member of the College World Series champions, the first victory for Rice in its fourth tournament appearance. He rounded out his college career in 2005 with a 5-3 record and a 3.7 ERA.
Pendleton was selected in the fourth round (139th overall) of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft by the New York Yankees. Shortly afterwards, Lance elected to undergo Tommy John surgery. Returning to the Yankees farm club in 2007, Lance played for 6 teams in 5 years, compiling a 32–22 record and a 3.39 cumulative ERA.
In the 2010 Rule 5 Draft, Pendleton was taken by the Houston Astros. He was returned to the Yankees on March 27, 2011. He was promoted to the majors on April 15, when Phil Hughes was placed on the disabled list.
Pendleton was designated for assignment by the Yankees and claimed off waivers by the Astros in September 2011. Allowing nine runs in 4 2⁄3 innings with the Astros, they outrighted him to the minor leagues following the season. As this was the second time he was outrighted, he had the option to opt for free agency, which he exercised. The Astros signed Pendleton to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training for the 2012 season. On March 30, 2012 Pendleton was released by the Houston Astros. He signed a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays on April 18th and spent the entire 2012 season pitching for the AAA Durham Bulls.
- "The Baseball Cube". Players. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- "ESPN Sports". players. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- "Baseball Reference. com". Minors. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- Campbell, Steve (2011-03-01). "Lifelong fan Pendleton strives to play for Astros - Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- "Yankees get Lance Pendleton back from Astros | River Avenue Blues". Riveraveblues.com. 2011-03-27. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- Carig, Marc; Berman, Zach (April 15, 2011). "Yankees' Phil Hughes goes on DL, Bartolo Colon joins rotation". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Hoch, Bryan (September 6, 2011). "Pena among callups filling out Yankees' roster". MLB.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Ultimate Astros » Astros claim, or reclaim, Rice alum Pendleton from Yankees". Blog.chron.com. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- McTaggart, Brian (October 5, 2011). "Astros outright Xavier Cedeno, Blake King and Lance Pendleton". MLB.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lance Pendleton.|