A barrister of the Inner Temple, he was appointed Recorder of Wigan in 1901 and took silk in 1903. He was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for the Appleby division of Westmorland at the January 1910 general election, regaining a formerly Conservative seat which had been held by Liberal MPs since 1900. He was re-elected in the general election of December 1910, but resigned his seat and recordership in October 1915, when he was appointed Chief Justice of the High Court of Judicature in Calcutta. Upon his resignation from that position in 1926, Sanderson was appointed to the Privy Council and sat on the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council from 1934 until 1935. He died in Lancaster aged 80.
- "no. 27378". The London Gazette. 19 November 1901. p. 7472. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "no. 27531". The London Gazette. 3 March 1903. p. 1415. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 412. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Department of Information Services (9 June 2009). "Appointments to the Chiltern Hundreds and Manor of Northstead Stewardships since 1850" (PDF). House of Commons Library. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 February 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- "no. 29368". The London Gazette. 16 November 1915. p. 11337. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "no. 34211". The London Gazette. 25 October 1935. p. 6697. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "Lancelot Sanderson player profile". CricketArchive. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- "First-class matches played by Lancelot Sanderson". CricketArchive. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lancelot Sanderson
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Appleby
January 1910 – 1915
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1860s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indian law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|