Landgravine Maria Eleonore of Hesse-Rotenburg
|Countess Palatine of Sulzbach|
|Born||25 February 1675
|Died||27 January 1720
|Spouse||Theodore Eustace of Sulzbach|
|Issue||Count Palatine Joseph Charles
Francisca Christina, Abbess of Essen
Ernestine, Landgravine of Hesse-Rotenburg
John Christian, Count Palatine of Sulzbach
Anne Christine, Princess of Piedmont
|Father||William, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Mother||Maria Anna of Löwenstein-Wertheim|
Maria Eleonore of Hesse-Rotenburg (Maria Eleonore Amalia; 25 February 1675 – 27 January 1720) was Landgravine of Hesse-Rotenburg by birth and was the Countess Palatine of Sulzbach by marriage. She is an ancestor of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria.
Maria Eleonore was the second child of William, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg and is wife Maria Anna of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort. She was an older sister of Ernest Leopold of Hesse-Rotenburg, future ruler of her native Hesse-Rotenburg.
Engaged to Theodore Eustace of Sulzbach, the heir of the ruling Count Palatine of Sulzbach Christian Augustus, the couple were married on 9 June 1692 in Lobositz, Bohemia. The couple had some nine children three of which would have further progeny.
- Countess Palatine Amalia Auguste Maria Anna of Sulzbach (7 June 1693 – 18 January 1762) died unmarried.
- Count Palatine Joseph Charles of Sulzbach (2 November 1694 – 18 July 1729) married Elisabeth Auguste of Neuburg and had issue.
- Countess Palatine Francisca Christina of Sulzbach (16 May 1696 – 16 July 1776) Abbess of Essen.
- Countess Palatine Ernestine Elizabeth Johanna of Sulzbach (15 May 1697 – 14 April 1775) married William II, Landgrave of Hesse-Wanfried-Rheinfels, no issue.
- Count Palatine John William Philip of Sulzbach (3 June 1698 – 12 April 1699) died in infancy.
- John Christian, Count Palatine of Sulzbach (23 January 1700 – 20 July 1733) married Maria Henriette de La Tour d'Auvergne and had issue; married Eleonore of Hesse-Rotenburg, no issue.
- Countess Palatine Elisabeth Eleonore Auguste of Sulzbach (19 April 1702 – 10 February 1704) died in infancy.
- Countess Palatine Anne Christine of Sulzbach (5 February 1704 – 12 March 1723) married Charles Emmanuel, Prince of Piedmont and had issue.
- Count Palatine Johann Wilhelm August of Sulzbach (21 August 1706 – 28 August 1708) died in infancy.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 25 February 1675 – 9 June 1692 Her Serene Highness Princess Maria Eleonore of Hesse-Rotenburg
- 9 June 1692 – 23 April 1708 Her Serene Highness The Hereditary Princess of Sulzbach
- 23 April 17, 1708 – 27 January 1720 Her Serene Highness The Countess Palatine of Sulzbach
- van de Pas, Leo. "Maria Eleonore of Hesse-Rotenburg". Genealogics .org. Retrieved 2010-03-29.