|Founded||Zug, Switzerland (1896 )|
Number of locations
|72 sites in 31 countries (of which 18 are manufacturing locations)|
|Revenue||US $1.59 Billion|
Number of employees
Landis+Gyr, is a multinational corporation with 45 companies in over 30 countries and headquartered in Zug, Switzerland focused on metering and other technologies which deal with management of energy.
Landis+Gyr was originally known as Electrotechnisches Institut Theiler and Company, established in 1896. In 1905, it was renamed in Landis & Gyr, after Heinrich Landis and Karl Heinrich Gyr, who followed the Founder Richard Theiler as managers. Landis+Gyr has been designing and manufacturing a range of metering products, systems and services for electricity, heat and gas to energy utilities around the world. In 1924, Landis+Gyr experienced global expansion by opening its first overseas offices in New York and Australia. Besides metering products, with the foundation of Cerberus Limited in 1940 Landis+Gyr expanded into fire safety products. Cerberus was later acquired by Elektrowatt Limited, and is today a part of Siemens Building Technologies. The company was also known for producing optical phone cards until 2006. Phone cards of Landys+Gyr were used in many countries such as Israel, Belgium, Switzerland and more.
2006 - Landis+Gyr acquired Finnish Enermet Group together with Hunt Technologies and Cellnet Technologies both of whom are from the United States of America.
2004 - Landis+Gyr was acquired by then Australia based, Bayard Capital for an undisclosed amount. Bayard Capital had already acquired the British metering company Ampy Automation-Digilog. As Bayard Capital continued to add other acquisitions to the Group, 2008 saw the Landis+Gyr name being extended to the whole Group in May 2008.
A notable organizational realignment took place under Bayard Capital’s ownership. The company moved to a regional structure by aligning all activities in the regions, namely, North America; South America; UK/Pre-Payment; Europe; and Asia Pacific.
1987 - Landis+Gyr acquired MCC Powers of Chicago. MCC Powers had by then been a long established entity in the US building management market. Spurred by the liberalization and deregulation of global markets, Landis+Gyr re-oriented its business which saw the development and rollout of electronic products.
1976 – Landis+Gyr acquired Duncan Electric Company of Lafayette, Indiana.
Landis+Gyr, is an independent growth platform within the Toshiba Corporation functions with a board governance structure including representatives from the company's shareholders—Toshiba Corporation (60% ownership stake) and the Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ) (40% ownership stake). The current CEO and President of Landis+Gyr is Andreas Umbach, once recognized in the Top 40 Most Influential People in European Smart Grid by Metering International.
Various utilities have worked with Landis+Gyr in meeting their consumers' demand for energy management tools by rolling out smart meters. Below are some of the utilities that have worked with Landis+Gyr in deploying smart metering technology to energy consumers.
- Europe, Middle East & Africa: British Gas; Iberdrola; Électricité Réseau Distribution France (ERDF); E.ON; Järvi-Suomen Energia Oy; Vattenfall; Eskom; RWE.
- Asia Pacific: Energex; Ergon Energy; Ausgrid; Essential Energy; Western Power; ESTA; Genesis Energy Limited; Meralco; China Light & Power; Singapore Power.
- North America: Oncor Energy; Pacific Gas and Electric; Hydro-Québec; AEP Texas.
- South America: Copel; AES Eletropaulo; Ampla – Enel/ENDESA Group; Light; CEMIG; National Electricity Administration, Paraguay (ANDE); Cooperativa Regional de Electricidad, Bolivia (CRE); EDESUR - Enel/ENDESA Group (Argentina); CODENSA – Enel/ENDESA Group (Colombia).
Recognition & Awards
- Greentech Media's Grid Edge 20.
- Frost & Sullivan Global AMI Company of the year for 2014.
- Greentech Media's Grid Edge 20.
- Frost & Sullivan Global AMI Company of the year for 2013.
- 2013 IBM Beacon Award for Best Industry Solution for Energy & Utilities.
- Connected World's Top 100 Innovative Companies Recognition - Landis+Gyr was selected by Connected World magazine as one of the 100 top global companies that are demonstrating significant market traction and pursuing game-changing technologies in connectivity.
- RoSPA Gold Medal Award - Landis+Gyr UK Limited has been awarded 6 gold medals by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) for 6 consecutive years.
- Global Cleantech 100 Award – In 2010 Landis+Gyr was listed on the 2010 Global Cleantech 100 in recognition of the company’s past performance in delivering smart grid products and services as well as in recognition of expected impact in the energy industry over the coming years.
- Industry Week's Best Plants 2010 - The Landis+Gyr manufacturing plant in Reynosa, Mexico was selected as one of the 10 Best Plants in North America in 2010.
Smart metering is opposed by some, and as developer of such meters Landis+Gyr is met with criticism.
- In 2016, Phil Mocek of MuckRock started investigating  a project in which Landis+Gyr was involved. After Mocek received the requested information, Landis+Gyr followed up by filing a lawsuit  demanding the documentation not be made public.
- Alpeyev, Pavel (2011-05-19). "Toshiba to Buy Meter Maker Landis+Gyr for $2.3 Billion in Smart Grid Boost". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "History Landis+Gyr". Landisgyr.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "History Siemens Building Technologies". Buildingtechnologies.siemens.com. 1998-10-01. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Introducing the 40 Most Influential People in European Smart Grid". Metering.com. 2014-11-04. Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Grid Edge 20: The Top Companies Disrupting the US Electric Market". Greentechmedia.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Frost & Sullivan Applauds Landis+Gyr for Developing Groundbreaking Technologies to Build Future-Ready Smart Grids Across the Globe". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Grid Edge 20: Companies Transforming the US Power Sector". Greentechmedia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Frost & Sullivan 2013 Global Company of the Year Award Conferred on Landis+Gyr". Frost.com. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "2013 Beacon Awards". IBM Partner World. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "CW2013 100". connectedworldmag.com/. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "Gold Medal Awards". Rospa.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "2010 Global Cleantech 100". Cleantechblog.com. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Minter, Steve (2010-12-14). "Industry Week Best Plants 2010". Industryweek.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Public Records Request: Smart meter security audit plans schedules proposals contracts discussion results (Seattle)". Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "A multinational demands to know who reads MuckRock". Retrieved 2016-05-26.