This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Breaking New Grounds|
|Established||March 21, 2011|
|Chancellor||Dr. David O. Oyedepo|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Adeniyi Olayanju|
|Location||Omu Aran, Kwara State, Nigeria|
|Colours||Green, Gold and Brown|
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA),|
National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA),
National Universities Commission (NUC)
Landmark University is a Private Christian University, affiliated with Living Faith Church Worldwide and located in Omu-Aran Kwara State, Nigeria. In 2014 it is featured among the top five universities in Nigeria by Webometrics.
- 1 Governance
- 2 Agrarian Revolutionary Drive
- 3 Academic programmes
- 4 Campus life
- 5 Former vice-chancellors
- 6 Outstanding Students
- 7 Notable faculty
- 8 See also
- 9 References
World Mission Agency (WMA), a Christian mission organization, founded by Dr. David Oyedepo is the umbrella governing body of Landmark University. The Chancellor, Dr. David Oyedepo serves as the chairman of the board of trustees of World Mission Agency. The board of trustees of World Mission Agency is responsible for the appointment of members of the Board of Regents (Governing Council) of Landmark University. The Board is the apex governing body of the University.
The pro chancellor of the university is Pastor Yemi Nathaniel. His appointment took effect from August 2014. According to the chancellor, the role of the pro chancellor is to facilitate decision making and approval process in the university as well as spiritual oversight of the university community. The position of pro chancellor has been retired.
The current vice-chancellor is Professor Adeniyi Olayanju, who replaced Professor Aize Obayan who has served as a member of the Board of National Universities Commission and Central Bank of Nigeria and the Council of the Nigerian Institute of Management.
Agrarian Revolutionary Drive
The chancellor of Landmark University has on multiple occasions highlighted that the university is aimed at improving the agricultural sector of the Nigeria and Africa at large. Before the Oil boom of the 1970s, Nigeria’s economy was thriving as an agrarian economy and the nation gave attention to Agriculture. After the Oil boom, the agriculture industry in Nigeria has been on a decline, the Nation that was a onetime exporter of several cash crops has become import dependent so much that it cannot on its own feed its population talk less of exporting to other countries. Landmark University aims to start off an agrarian revolution in Nigeria and Africa that would restore the Nations lost glory and redirect its attention to the many natural earthen resources that it has.
The university encourages its students to venture into agriculture whether it is their core discipline or not and encourages the enrollment of Nigerian students into Agriculture-related courses through scholarships and Career talks. In addition to this, the university has pioneered a Certificate and Diploma Course in Agripreneurship in Nigeria, a program designed to enlighten its participants on the entrepreneurial opportunities that exist in Agriculture.
The University has made ties with several leading Agriculture Institutions both in Research and practice and many other institutions in the pursuance of their agrarian revolutionary drive. Some of these institutions are the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA).
In nearly 7 years of existence, the university runs 6 Agriculture related programs, namely Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, Animal Science, Crop Science, Soil Science and Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering and has graduated over 388 agriculture professionals. The school also has a total of 1,059 hectares of farming land; 320 hectares on the university property in Omu-Aran, Kwara State, 354 hectares at Eleyin Village along the Omu-Aran-Ilorin highway and 385 hectares at Agbonda also in Kwara State. According to the former Vice-chancellor of the school, Professor Aize Obayan, Landmark University produces most of the food items consumed on its campus and sells farm produce to its neighboring communities. Some of the agricultural products of the University’s farm are eggs, frozen chicken, fish, soya beans, cassava, rice, fufu flour and many others including innovative agricultural products like the Brown Rice.
College of Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Extension and Economics
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Agricultural Economics
- Animal Science
- Crop and Soil Sciences
College of Business and Social Sciences
School of Business
- Banking And Finance
- Business Administration
School of Social Sciences
- Political science
- International relations
College of Science and Engineering
School of Natural and Applied Sciences
- Industrial Physics
- Industrial Chemistry
- Industrial Mathematics
- Computer Science
School of Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical & Information Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Agricultural and Bio-system Engineering
The university is situated on its campus in Omu-Aran Kwara state, where all its academic activities take place.
As at 2014, Landmark University had a student population of 2684 including international students from other African countries. Landmark University holds mid-week church services for her students every Tuesday and Thursday between the hours of 8:00am and 9:45am. Each student is expected to attend at least one of these services every week.
All students are required to live on the university’s campus in the hostels built for them. Students are expected to be back in their respective hostels before 9:00pm daily.
The school provides opportunities for students to be involved in practical skill acquisition sessions as a part of the school’s Entrepreneurial Development Studies (EDS) course. Students learn various skills including bead making, soap making, fashion design, water production, bakery and many others.
- Professor Mathew Ajayi - 2011 to July 2014.
- Professor Joseph Afolayan - August 2014-August 2015
- Professor Aize Obayan - August 2015 – July 2017
- Professor Adeniyi Olayanju - August 2017 – Present
- An Accounting student of Landmark University emerged Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)’s top 3 affiliates in Nigeria consequent on his outstanding performance in the 2016 December Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) professional examination. The student, Oladiran Tobi Ezekiel, became a Chartered Accountant in his third year at Landmark University.
- On 11 March 2017 a student of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kenechukwu Okafor, won the 2016/2017 national contest of the Global Student Entrepreneur Awards and represented Nigeria in the global contest held in Germany. He is also the founder and CEO of Ezra Footwear, a start-up shoe manufacturing company.
- One of Landmark University's students, Benneth Nwozu Chukwuka, a student of Agricultural and Bio system Engineering founded an agricultural enterprise, Benny Farms, in Ogun State.
- A student of Agricultural and Bio system Engineering in Landmark University, Clinton Okonkwo, fabricated 3 of the machines used by the university's farm in her rice production process. The student in a joint project work with Olumhense Gift, another student of the university, also produced a Multi Crop Grain Cleaner that took the first prize at a Competition organised by the Committee of Deans of Engineering and Technology of Nigerian Universities (CODET) on June 2, 2016.
- Professor Aize Obayan
- University, Landmark. "Landmark University | Student Life". lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Landmark Varsity gets new VC - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Wanted: Agrarian revolution for economic development". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "At Landmark University, every student is a farmer – Oyedepo". Tribune. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Landmark University to Ignite Agrarian Revolution - Oyedepo". Agronigeria. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- University, Landmark. "Landmark University | Our Story". lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- Ahmad, Romoke (December 29, 2016). "We encourage students to build careers in agriculture". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "IITA formalizes partnership with Landmark University". IITA News. 2017-10-23. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Landmark varsity partners NASRDA on agric technology". Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Landmark University | College of Agricultural Science". cas.lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Landmark University Available Courses. | Students Nigeria". Students Nigeria. 2017-07-03. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "LANDMARK UNIVERSITY KICKS OFF OUTGROWERS SCHEME TO EMPLOY GRADUATES | Ilorin, Kwara News". www.ilorin.info. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- University, Landmark. "Landmark University | University Farms". lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "ELEYIN PLANTATION FARM | Aize Obayan". aizeobayan.agr.lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Economic recession is an opportunity to explore agriculture -Landmark varsity V-C Aize Obayan - The Nation Nigeria". The Nation Nigeria. 2016-10-08. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "LMU Farms | Aize Obayan". aizeobayan.agr.lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "LANDMARK UNIVERSITY BEHIND RICE PRODUCTION, SEE PICS". 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- University, Landmark. "Landmark University | News & Events". lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Professor Joseph. O. Afolayan Appointed Acting Vice-Chancellor of Landmark University". lmu.edu.ng. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Obayan becomes Landmark University's V.C". guardian.ng. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Landmark University's best accounting graduating- student, Ezekiel, attributes feat to father - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2017-07-16. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "How I made First Class, ICAN, ACCA in 4yrs - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2017-08-03. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, ICAN (2014-06-23). "LIST OF INDUCTEES - AATWA 40TH INDUCTION CEREMONY (1).xlsx" (PDF). The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Oyedepo proffers solutions to nation's food deficit - The Nation Nigeria". The Nation Nigeria. 2017-03-22. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Varsity student has two firms, wins national award". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "How Kenechukwu Okafor engineers footwear business - BusinessDay : News you can trust". BusinessDay : News you can trust. 2017-10-09. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Landmark University 3rd Convocation Ceremony Class of 2016 - AcademicsNG". School News, Admissions, JAMB News, Nigeria Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges News. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- SCHOLS.COM.NG (2017-10-17). "Top 10 Private Universities in Nigeria". Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- Landmark University. "LANDMARK UNIVERSITY ENVISIONS AN AGRIPRENEURIAL INCUBATION CENTRE, LAUNCHES FADAMA RICE". Landmark University | News. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Good Move! Landmark University Begins Rice Production (Photos)". 247Nobs.com.ng. 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Landmark Varsity students win CODET Prizes, qualify for national competition". Retrieved 2018-01-23.