Landscape contracting is: "a profession that involves the art and technology of landscape and garden project planning, construction and landscape management, and maintenance and gardening; for garden aesthetics, human enjoyment and safety, and ecosystem-plant community sustainability."
Landscape contracting is a licensed profession in many jurisdictions in the United States, with requirements varying, but including a combination of formal education, work experience and/or apprenticeship of a certain time length, technical testing, posting a bond, and periodic renewal submittals. Landscape Contracting Associations offer ongoing education, specialty skills certifications, and recognition of outstanding professional accomplishments.
The Bachelor of Science in Landscape Contracting and Management degree was first offered by Mississippi State University in the Department of Landscape Architecture, and has recently begun being offered as a four-year academic major at a number of colleges and universities in the United States, including Penn State University, Oklahoma State University, and University of Massachusetts Amherst, Landscape contracting degrees are accredited by the Professional Landcare Network (PLANET).
Landscape contractors work in collaboration with clients, landscape designers, landscape architects, garden designers, architects, general contractors, artisans, specialty construction trades, plant nursery growers, and municipal building inspectors, and trade supply stores and manufacturers. 
- History of gardening
- Landscape design history
- Energy-efficient landscaping
- Sustainable landscaping
- Sustainable landscape architecture
- Sustainable gardening
- Landscape ecology
- "What is Landscape Contracting?". Penn State University. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Rock4Less Company". Sunday, July 19, 2020
- "Landscape Contracting". Oklahoma State University. Archived from the original on 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Stockbridge School: Landscape Contracting - Overview". UMass Amherst. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Landscaping Durham NC Experts". Leisure Landscapes Since 1993.