Landscape with a Carriage and a Train
|Landscape with a Carriage and a Train|
|Artist||Vincent van Gogh|
|Medium||Oil on canvas|
|Dimensions||72.0 cm × 90.0 cm (28.3 in × 35.4 in)|
|Location||Pushkin Museum, Moscow (F760, JH2019)|
Van Gogh spent the last few months of his life in Auvers-sur-Oise, a small town just north of Paris, after he left an asylum at Saint-Rémy in May 1890. He made the painting in the week following his portraits of Dr. Gachet. The viewpoint from above was a favourite perspective of his since his days sketching in the dunes of Scheveningen at The Hague with the aid of a perspective frame.
Lately I’ve been working a lot and quickly; by doing so I’m trying to express the desperately swift passage of things in modern life.
Yesterday in the rain I painted a large landscape viewed from a height in which there are fields as far as the eye can see, different types of greenery, a dark green field of potatoes, between the regular plants the lush, violet earth, a field of peas in flower whitening to the side, a field of pink-flowered lucerne with a small figure of a reaper, a field of long, ripe grass, fawn in hue, then wheatfields, poplars, a last line of blue hills on the horizon, at the bottom of which a train is passing, leaving behind it an immense trail of white smoke in the greenery. A white road crosses the canvas. On the road a little carriage and white houses with stark red roofs beside this road. Fine rain streaks the whole with blue or grey lines
- van der Veen, Wouter; Knapp, Peter (2010). Van Gogh in Auvers: His Last Days. The Monacelli Press. pp. 134–5. ISBN 978-1-58093-301-8.
- de la Faille, Jacob Baart (1970). The works of Vincent van Gogh. Amsterdam: Meulenhoff. p. 293. OCLC 300160639.
- Hulsker, Jan (1986). The Complete Van Gogh: Paintings, Drawings, Sketches. Random House. p. 462. ISBN 0-517-44867-X.
- Naifeh, Steven; White Smith, Gregory (2011). Van Gogh: The Life. Random House. p. 822 ff. ISBN 978-0-375-50748-9.
- Hulsker (1980) p. 462
- Naifeh and Smith (2011) pp. 290-3
- "Letter 886: To Willemien van Gogh. Auvers, Friday, 13 June 1890". Vincent van Gogh: The Letters. Van Gogh Museum. Paragraph 1 ff.
Lately I’ve been working a lot and quickly ...
- Brooks, D. "Landscape with Carriage and Train in the Background". The Vincent van Gogh Gallery, endorsed by Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam. David Brooks (self-published).
- de la Faille, Jacob-Baart. The Works of Vincent van Gogh: His Paintings and Drawings. Amsterdam: Meulenhoff, 1970. ISBN 978-1-55660-811-7
- Hulsker, Jan. The Complete Van Gogh. Oxford: Phaidon, 1980. ISBN 0-7148-2028-8
- Naifeh, Steven; Smith, Gregory White. Van Gogh: The Life. Profile Books, 2011. ISBN 978-1-84668-010-6
- van der Veen, Wouter; Knapp, Peter. Van Gogh in Auvers: His Last Days. Monacelli Press, 2010. ISBN 978-1-58093-301-8