Landstown High School
|Landstown High School|
|2001 Concert Drive
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Virginia Beach City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Aaron C. Spence|
|Principal||Dr. Brian K. Matney|
|Color(s)||Black, Royal Blue, Silver, and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
|Rival||Salem High School, Ocean Lakes High School|
|Feeder schools||Corporate Landing Middle School, Landstown Middle School|
The school features a Technology Academy, one of several magnet programs in Virginia Beach. Students throughout the city interested in a technology education can apply to learn from three different strands: pre-engineering technology, information technology, and entrepreneurship technology. Entry to the Academy requires recommendations, above average grades, and an electronic portfolio which demonstrates aptitude. It was founded as a general high school and technology magnet school in 2001 and additionally designated a Governor's STEM Academy during the 2012-2013 school year.
Landstown is home to the award winning "Eagle Elite" Madrigal (Chamber) Choir. Under the direction of Dr. Martha Springstead, the choral department has performed in NYC (2005) with the Heritage Festivals of Gold at Riverside Church, and are members of the Disney Honors, Class of 2006, Class of 2011, and Class of 2015 held at Disney World.
Landstown's football team went to three consecutive state championship games between 2003-2005 under Coach Chris Beatty, who led the team to a 40-2 record during that three year span. They won the state championship in 2004 but lost it in 2003 and 2005. The star players during this time were Percy Harvin, Deveon Simmons, and Damon McDaniel. In early 2006, Coach Beatty left Landstown to become the offensive coordinator at Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia followed by a stint at Northern Illinois University. As of March 2009, he is an assistant football coach at West Virginia University.
- 2005 State championship winner, Boys outdoor track team
- 2006 Regional championship winner, Boys soccer team.
- 2006 State championship winner, Girls track team.
- 2008 Nike Indoor Nationals National title in the 4 × 200 meter relay, Girls indoor track team, running a US #1 time of 1:40:08. All-American honors awarded to relay members Kelnesha Hinnant, Olivia Hutchins, Cierra McGee and Marlena Wesh. Wesh also won the 200 meter dash National title with a time of 24.46. Wesh competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics for Haiti.
- 2008 annual Penn Relays Carnival, Girls outdoor track, placing 4th in the 4 × 100 meter relay, with a time of 46.07, the fastest American time. Relay team members Olivia Hutchins, Leah Brown, Cierra McGee, and Marlena Wesh were awarded gold watches and advanced to the Championship of America.
- 2008 state championship winner, Girls indoor track team. They were the first team in the history of Virginia track and field to win all three relay titles: the 4 × 800 meter relay, the 4 × 100 meter relay, & the 4 × 400 meter relay. They also tied the record for the most points ever scored at the VHSL AAA state track and field meet with a score of 94 points. Eagles members were awarded All-State honors.
- Javonte Culbreath is awarded Beach District Honorable Mention for the 2011-2012 varsity basketball season
- 2015 State semifinalist, Girls Soccer. The Lady Eagles ended their season 17-3-2, the three losses came in the post-season tournaments. The team outscored their opponents 65-to-9 overall and recorded 17 overall shutouts. They were the Coastal Conference 1 regular season champions, the conference's tournament runner-up, and the South Region tournament's runner-up.
- Percy Harvin (2006) - Offensive player for the National Football League
- Marlena Wesh (2009) - Sprinter for Haiti in the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Landstown High School.|
- "Landstown High School". AE Systems. Ambassor Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved 2006-06-12.
- "Landstown High School Governor's STEM and Technology Academy". Landstown High School. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- Rowe, Jane Bloodworth (2006-03-16). "It's their honor to be able to go to Disney World". The Virginian Pilot.
- Dillon, Liam (December 11, 2005). "Oakton's Sweet Taste of Success". The Washington Post (WashingtonPost.com). Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Frankenberry, Jami (2005-12-20). "Landstown stars commit to University of Florida". Virginian-Pilot (The Washington Post). Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Tucker, Kyle (2008-06-29). "The beat goes on for former Landstown coach Beatty". The Virginian Pilot. PilotOnline. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- Squires, David. "With top track stars out, medals are up for grabs". dailypress.com. Retrieved 12 June 2006.
- Rubama, Larry (2008-04-24). "Penn Relays: Landstown girls make Championship of America in two races". The Virginian-Pilot. PilotOnline.com. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Rubama, Larry (May 21, 2012). "Ex-Landstown sprinter Wesh going to Olympics". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "Olivia Hutchins". East Carolina University. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- VHSL Group AAA State Indoor T&F Championships MileStat.com
- Miles, Brandon (2008-03-01). "Landstown girls & Western Branch boys are the champions". MileStat.com. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Landstown HS official site
- School Report Card
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Virginia Beach school mascots and colors
- Landstown Football @ VHSL-Reference