Landtag of Rhineland-Palatinate
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (December 2009)|
|Landtag of Rhineland-Palatinate|
|27 March 2011|
Article 79, Section 1 of the Rhineland-Palatinate constitution provides: "The Landtag is the supreme organ of political decision-making, elected by the people. It represents the people, elects the Minister-President and confirms the cabinet, passes the laws and the budget, controls the executive and enunciates the popular will in the conduct of public affairs, in questions of European policy and according to the agreements between the Landtag and the cabinet."
The Landtag consists of 101 members.
The German flag used in the Landtag is a historical one used during the Hambacher Fest.
After the elections of March 27, 2011, the composition of the Landtag is as follows:
|Social Democratic Party (SPD)||42|
|Christian Democratic Union (CDU)||41|
|Alliance '90/The Greens||18|
Presidents of the Landtag
- 1947 – 1948 Jakob Diel, CDU
- 1948 – 1959 August Wolters, CDU
- 1959 – 1971 Otto van Volxem, CDU
- 1971 – 1974 Johannes Baptist Rösler, CDU
- 1974 – 1985 Albrecht Martin, CDU
- 1985 – 1991 Heinz Peter Volkert, CDU
- 1991 – 2006 Christoph Grimm, SPD
- since 2006 Joachim Mertes, SPD
|This government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|