Laneige (Hangul: 라네즈) is a South Korean cosmetics brand launched by Amore Pacific in 1994. Its name comes from the French "la neige", which translates to "the snow". The brand's flagship products include its Water Bank skin care line, Water Sleeping Mask, BB Cushion foundation and two-tone lipsticks.
The brand's central concept is based on its Advanced Water Science technology, an emphasis on skin hydration. Laneige is noted by its parent company as one of their first brands to be launched and find popularity outside Korea.
Laneige was introduced in September 1994, with a skin care collection entitled UV Green. Under the campaign "Laneige Protects Women", emphasizing the line's "skin immunity" properties, Laneige selected actress Lee Yoo-ri and talent Kim Si-won to represent the brand. Despite its success, Laneige found that, contrary to its image, consumers perceived the brand to be slightly mature. In July 1995, actress Kim Ji-ho became the third face of Laneige. The brand reached a milestone of 100 billion KRW in sales by 1996. Their further campaigns include "Women Who Live Like a Movie" with models Shin Joo-ri, Lee Hye-sang and Chae Rim, both notably during the 1997 Asian financial crisis.
A mid-1999 campaign with the slogan "Everyday New Face", accompanied by actress Lee Na-young, reenergized sales for Laneige; by 2002, the brand was number one on AC Nielsen's Brand Power Index. In 2002, Laneige expanded into the greater Asian market with its first international stores in Hong Kong and Shanghai. After opening over 200 stores in eight Asian countries, Laneige entered Europe by opening its first store in Moscow, Russia.
In September 2017, Laneige partnered with cosmetics retailer Sephora to relaunch its brand in the United States, with the exclusive debut of its Lip Sleeping Mask. The brand was previously available at American retailer Target from 2014 to 2015, and its offerings have been stocked by Sephora Canada since September 2015.
Laneige redirected its focus to its "moisturizing skincare portfolio" and underwent its first rebrand in five years, introducing a new logo and "Luminous Beauty" concept in early 2019. Sephora's European outlets began to carry the brand in April 2019.
Spokespersons and models
- Kim Yoo Jung (2017–present)
- Lee Sung-kyung (2015–present)
- Song Hye-kyo (2008 - 2018)
- Jun Ji-hyun (2004 - 2008)
- Lee Na-young (1999 - 2004)
- Sin Ju-ri (1997 - 1999)
- Kim Ji-ho (1995 - 1997)
- [http://en.amorepacific.com/brand/brand_laneige.jsp Amore Pacific
- "LANEIGE | LUMINOUS BEAUTY". LANEIGE.
- "라네즈 l LUMINOUS BEAUTY". LANEIGE.
- "Amorepacific Launches LANEIGE in Europe". TASS. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- happist (2009-04-23). "[펌글]이 광고의 성공전략 | 태평양 라네즈 광고 캠페인". 꿈꾸는섬 (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- "Amore Pacific 2002 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "Amore Pacific ramps up Asian focus as duty free business expands". The Moodie Davitt Report. January 17, 2012.
- LANEIGE. "LANEIGE Reinforces Its Authority in Sleeping Beauty". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- Herald, The Korea (2017-09-19). "Laneige enters US Sephora". www.koreaherald.com. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- LANEIGE. "LANEIGE, A Global Korean Beauty Blockbuster, Debuts In Canada With Trend-setting, Science-Driven Products For All Skincare Concerns". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- "Laneige undergoes brand renewal". koreatimes. 2019-05-31. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- "Amorepacific, Sephora partner to launch Laneige brand in Europe". Verdict Cosmetics. 2019-04-08. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- "Ji-hyun Jeon signed a contract as an exclusive model for Laneige". en.amorepacific.com. 3 March 2004. Retrieved 2014-02-25.