|Zee 24 Taas video, Langdi all set to go international.|
|SemiNAL-final match of the fourth National Langdi Championship, played between Punjab and Karnataka, Punjab defending and Karnataka chasing, video at the Langdi Federation of India website.|
Efforts to popularise the sport
Langdi is considered to be useful in training for sports like kho kho, volleyball and gymnastics. The National Langdi Federation received national recognition in 2010. Langdi in Maharashtra is a popular childhood pastime, it is described as the foundation of all sports. Suresh Gandhi, Secretary of Langdi Federation of India acknowledges playing langdi isn't financially rewarding. Stake holders have to arrange for funds out of their own resources. Mumbai University will be the first Indian university to introduce langdi at the college level, for female students thus revitalising the traditional sport. 5 lakh female students study in the university in 700 colleges affiliated to it.C. N. Vidyamandir a school in Ahmedabad encourages participation in traditional sports such as langdi, these cost less money to play and are mentally and physically refreshing for children addicted to the electronic media and games. According to Mahesh Vichare writing in Maharashtra Times, English medium schools, both secular and those run by Christian institutions, in Mumbai, tend to neglect traditional sports like langdi.Chauhan, national president of Krida Bharati, has stressed that the organisation would endeavour to revitalise traditional sports like langdi in order to create healthy youngsters. Krida bharati is an organisation that promotes sport in India. According to Arun Deshmukh, recognition from the Indian Olympic Association is in the pipeline. This recognition results in facilities like concessional railway travel being made available, thus ensuring in growth of the sport.
Expatriate Indians have associated in the effort to popularise langdi out side, in countries such as Thailand. Video films of the sport being played have been prepared in order raise interest internationally.
The rules of this sport have been standardised by the Akhil Maharashtra Sharirik Shikshan Mandal.
Langdi is a team sport between two sides, played 12 players a side, and an additional three extra players. A match lasts 36 minutes. It is played in four innings of nine minutes each. The team that wins the toss defends. The chasing team sends chasers who hop on one foot and try to tag the defenders. The chasers can step out of the ground as long as they keep on one foot. The defenders are declared out if they step out of the ground or commit a line fault. The team that tags most defenders is declared the winner.
Devasitham is the Indian captain for Langdi. He represented India in Asian and South Asian Tournaments & Won many accolades. Under his leadership, India won the Singapore Tournament held in November,2017.
- Awasthi, Shailendra (2010-01-01). "Now officially a sport, Langdi takes giant leap". Indian Express. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Vishal Karule. लंगडी निघाली परदेशवारीला!. Zee 24 Taas.
- Medhekar, Niranjan (2013-05-14). "PMC deals crippling blow to folk games in its sports policy". Mid Day. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Phatak, Parag (2013-06-30). "मुंबईची लंगडी लवकरच ऑनलाइन!". Loksatta (in Marathi). Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Andhale, Santosh (2013-07-25). "MU will be India's first university to introduce the traditional sport langdi to keep girls fit". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Changing the game plan". Times of India. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Vichare, Mahesh (2012-08-19). "खेळांची 'शाळा'...शाळांचे 'खेळ'". Maharashtra Times (in Marathi). Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "क्रीडा भारतीसाठी झोकून द्या: चौहान". Tarun Bharat. 2013-03-09. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Don't create fuss about 'winning WC for Sachin': Chauhan". Times of India. 2011-02-05. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "The people: Amusements". Ahmednagar district gazette. Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "महाराष्ट्राची अव्वल कामगिरी". Lokmat (in Marathi). 2013-05-19. Retrieved 9 August 2013.