|School type||Secondary school|
|Head teacher||Lindsay Brown|
The school was created in March 1876, with John Howie as head. During the 1880s, the school had a record as one of the best academic schools in Scotland.
Currently, the school has 270 pupils: the current building was opened in 1962. A sports and leisure complex was opened alongside the school in 2002.
The Academy is associated with three primary schools: Langholm, Canonbie, and Glenzier.
- John Howie 1876–1908
- Robert Hamilton 1908–1931
- George Badenoch 1931–1938
- Andrew Robertson 1938–1949
- James Pattie 1949–1971
- Roger Blamire 1971–1975
- Andrew Blake 1975–1979
- David McDonald 1979–1993
- Alan Gray 1993–2000
- William Mckenzie (acting) 2000–2001
- Christopher Barbour 2001–2005
- William Mckenzie (acting) 2005–2006
- Emma Neil 2006– April 2012
- John McFadyen (Acting HT) April 2012- Dec 2013
- Justin Sinclair Dec 2013-Dec 2015
- Lindsay Brown Dec 2015 - present