Langkawi International Airport
|Langkawi International Airport
Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Langkawi
|Owner||Government of Malaysia|
|Operator||Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad|
|Serves||Langkawi and Perlis|
|Location||Padang Matsirat, Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+08:00)|
The airport is a tourist attraction because it serves as a venue for the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA) which is an international aerospace event for aviation industry and aero performances for the public.
In 2015, the airport handled 2,336,177 passengers and 30,853 aircraft movements.
Construction of the BBC airport began in 1991 and was finished at December 1993. Langkawi International Airport was the airfield of Japanese army in 1945 and also for the British army. Kedah has two airports: Langkawi International Airport and Sultan Abdul Halim Airport
Airlines and destinations
Traffic and statistics
|Source: Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad20|
Accidents and incidents
An accident occurred on 2 December 2007, during the LIMA 2007 air show which caused three paratroopers to plunge into the sea and then drown. They were involved in a rehearsal for a mock exercise to retake the airport from terrorists.
It has been suggested by Chris Goodfellow in an article in Wired that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 may have been attempting to head towards Langkawi airport after a fire broke out and hence made the sharp left turn. 
- "Malaysia Airports". www.malaysiaairports.com.my.
- WMKL – LANGKAWI INTERNATIONAL at Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia
- Langkawi Airport at Malaysia Airport Holdings website
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "AirAsia plans Langkawi – Shenzhen August 2017 launch".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "China Southern schedules Langkawi July 2017 launch".
- "MAHB Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Malaysia Airports. 6 April 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Three paratroopers dead in Malaysia airshow accident. 3 December 2007.
- Wired article A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Langkawi International Airport.|
- Langkawi International Airport at Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Langkawi International Airport Real Time Flight Schedule
- Current weather for WMKL at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for LGK at Aviation Safety Network
|This article about a Malaysian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Malaysian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|