|Developer(s)||Daniel Naber and Marcin Miłkowski|
|Initial release||15 August 2005|
|Stable release||4.6 (26 June 2019[±])|
|License||GNU LGPL v2.1+|
LanguageTool is a free and open-source grammar checker, and all its features are available for download. LanguageTool website connects to a proprietary sister project LanguageTool Plus, which provides improved error detection for English and German, as well as easier revision of longer texts, following the open-core model.
LanguageTool was started by Daniel Naber for his diploma thesis in 2003 (then written in Python). It now supports 31 languages, each developed by volunteer maintainers, usually native speakers of said languages. Based on error detection patterns, rules are created and then tested for a given text.
The core app itself is free and open-source, and can be downloaded for offline use. Some languages use 'n-gram' data, which is massive and requires considerable processing power and I/O speed, for some extra detections. As such, LanguageTool is also offered as a web service that does the processing of 'n-grams' data on the server side. LanguageTool Plus also uses n-grams as part of its freemium business model.
LanguageTool web service can be used via a web interface in a web browser, or via a specialized client-side plug-ins for Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, Apache OpenOffice, Vim, Emacs, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Google Chrome. Its web app client can also be integrated on websites.
- "LanguageTool Change Log". languagetool.org. 26 June 2019.
- "Index of /download/". languagetool.org.
- "Index of /download/ngram-data/". languagetool.org.
- "LanguageTool - Spell and Grammar Checker". LanguageTool.
- Daniel Naber. "A Rule-Based Style and Grammar Checker" (PDF). Danielnaber.de. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- "Supported languages". 28 December 2016. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "N-Gram Data Download Page". languagetool.org. 2019-03-30. Retrieved 2019-03-30.
- "LanguageTool Microsoft Office Plug-in". 11 January 2019. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "LanguageTool v4.4" (OXT). Languagetool.org. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "LanguageTool v2.5" (OXT). Languagetool.org. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- "LanguageTool – Grammar checker for English, French, German (etc.) in Vim : vim online". Vim.org. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "vim-grammarous: A powerful grammar checker for Vim using LanguageTool". GitHub. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- Schroeder, Alex (2013-08-24). "langtool.el". EmacsWiki. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- Hayashi, Masahiro. "Emacs-langtool". GitHub. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- "Grammar and Spell Checker - LanguageTool". addons.mozilla.org. Mozilla Foundation. 2018-12-26. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- "Grammar Checker". addons.mozilla.org. Mozilla Corporation. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "LanguageTool - Grammar and Style Checker". Google Chrome Webstore. Google. 2017-12-17. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "Integration On Websites – LanguageTool Wiki". Wiki.languagetool.org. 2014-04-15. Retrieved 2014-05-03.