Languages of Kazakhstan
|Languages of Kazakhstan|
The Kazakh-speaking world:
regions where Kazakh is the language of the majority
regions where Kazakh is the language of a significant minority
|Official||Kazakh (national/state language), Russian (official)|
|Indigenous||Dialects of Kazakh language|
|Minority||German; Uzbek; Uyghur; Tatar; Kyrgyz; Azerbaijan; Korean;|
|Foreign||English; Arabic (coming with Islam); Chinese;|
|Source||Languages committee of the Ministry of culture and sports|
|Alphabet||Kazakh alphabets |
130 ethnic groups live in Kazakhstan. Including 65% of Kazakhs, 21.8% of Russians, 3.0% of Uzbeks, 1.8% of Ukrainians, 1.4% of Uyghurs and 1.2% of Tatars. The official languages of Kazakhstan are Kazakh with 5,290,000 speakers around the country and Russian which is spoken by 6,230,000 people. Both Kazakh and Russian are used on equal grounds. German (30,400 speakers), Tajiki, Tatar (328,000 speakers), Turkish, Ukrainian (898,000 speakers), Uyghur (300,000 speakers), and Uzbek are officially recognized by the 1997 Language Law, No. 151-1.
Other languages natively spoken in Kazakhstan are Dungan, Ili Turki, Ingush, Plautdietsch, and Sinte Romani. A number of more recent immigrant languages, such as Belarusian, Korean, Azerbaijani, and Greek are also spoken.
In Nazarbayev's resignation speech of 2019, he projects that people of Kazakhstan in the future can speak three languages (Kazakh, Russian and English).
Per 2007 data:
|Kazakh||74 % ||Cyrillic, Latin|
|Russian||84 % ||Cyrillic|
- "Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Article 7". Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "The Languages spoken in Kazakhstan". Studycountry. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- "О языках в Республике Казахстан". Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Archived from the original on 24 January 2018. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Kazakhstan". Ethnologue. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Address of the Head of State Nursultan Nazarbayev to the people of Kazakhstan". Mission of Kazakhstan to the United Nations. 2019-03-19.
- "Мемлекеттін 70 % мемлекеттік тілде сөйлей алады — ukimet.kz". Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- [permanent dead link]
|This Kazakhstan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|