Langwathby railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Langwathby from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The station was built by the Midland Railway and opened in 1876. The station was designed by the Midland Railway company architect John Holloway Sanders. It closed when local stopping trains over the Settle-Carlisle Line were withdrawn in May 1970, but was reopened by British Rail in July 1986.
The Carlisle-bound (down) station building has been converted into the Brief Encounter Tea Rooms and an antique shop. An enclosed bus-shelter style waiting room has been provided at the Carlisle end of the platform.
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 March 1930, a passenger train departed from Culgaith station against signals and was in collision with a ballast train. Two people were killed and four were seriously injured.
Six trains in each direction call at Langwathby on weekdays and three trains in each direction on Sundays. The station is also served two DalesRail trains from Preston & Blackpool North to Carlisle (and return) on Sundays during the summer months.
Services through to Carlisle have been suspended since 9 February 2016 by a landslip at Eden Brow (near Armathwaite), which has destabilised the embankment on the eastern side of the railway where it passes through the Eden Gorge. An emergency timetable is in operation, with trains only operating as far as Armathwaite (with a bus link to Carlisle) until repairs are completed in the spring of 2017.
- "Notes by the Way.". Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald. British Newspaper Archive. 1 November 1884. Retrieved 12 July 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (. ))
- Hall, Stanley (1990). The Railway Detectives. London: Ian Allan. p. 95. ISBN 0 7110 1929 0.
- GB National Rail Timetable May- December 2016; Table 42
- Landslip-hit Settle-to-Carlisle line section shut until 2017BBC News; Retrieved 7 July 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Langwathby railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Lazonby & Kirkoswald|
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|