|Studio album by|
|Released||14 August 1978|
|Recorded||17 July 1978|
|Studio||Blank Tapes Studios, New York City|
|Sun Ra chronology|
|All About Jazz||favorable|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Lanquidity is a studio album by American jazz musician Sun Ra originally released in 1978 by Philly Jazz (with a shiny silver cover) and reissued on HDCD by Evidence Records in 2000 (with a light grey cover).
It is quite different from his earlier recordings, drawing heavily on funk, R&B and jazz fusion. Lanquidity is also unusual in featuring two guitarists, which were seldom used in the Arkestra. The funk influence is also considerable, especially on "That's How I Feel". That track also contains a prominent tenor sax solo by John Gilmore, Sun Ra's sideman from the 1950s until Sun Ra's death in 1993.
Spin magazine called Lanquidity "a beautiful place to enter Ra's psych-jazz omniverse", while Alternative Press wrote that it is "impossibly funky": "Often compared to Miles Davis' heaviest jazz-rock-funk fusion, Lanquidity is dense, rhythmic and curiously hypnotic". Music journalist Robert Christgau is a fan of the album.
- "Lanquidity" – 8:19
- "Where Pathways Meet" – 6:30
- "That's How I Feel" – 8:09
- "Twin Stars of Thence" – 9:30
- "There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)" – 10:58
- Sun Ra: organ, synthesizer, piano, arranger, keyboards, Hammond organ, electric piano, vocals, bells, Arp, Fender Rhodes, orchestra bells, Mini Moog
- John Gilmore: tenor saxophone
- Danny Ray Thompson: flute, baritone saxophone
- Eddie Gale: trumpet
- Michael Ray: trumpet, flugelhorn
- Marshall Allen: flute, oboe, alto saxophone
- Luqman Ali: percussion
- Michael Anderson: percussion
- Artaukatune: drums, tympani
- Disco Kid: ( Slo Johnson ) guitar
- Dale Williams: guitar
- Atakatun Odun: congas
- Elo Omoe: Flute, bass clarinet
- Julian Pressley: baritone saxophone
- Richard Williams: bass
- James Jacson: oboe, basson, flute, voices
- June Tyson: voices
- Wuethrich, Matthew (12 January 2003). "Sun Ra: Lanquidity (1978)". Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Ruhlmann, William. Lanquidity at AllMusic
- "Sun Ra - Lanquidity CD Album". CD Universe. Muze. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 186. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Jazzlists: Philly Jazz Inc discography, accessed July 9, 2018
- Christgau, Robert (February 6, 2001). "Pazz & Jop Preview". The Village Voice. New York: Village Voice Media. p. 2. Retrieved 2012-07-14.