|Studio album by Sun Ra|
|Recorded||July 17, 1978|
|Studio||Blank Tapes Studios, New York City|
|Sun Ra chronology|
|All About Jazz||favorable|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Lanquidity is a studio album by American jazz musician Sun Ra. It was released in 1978 by Philly Jazz (with a shiny silver cover) and reissued on HDCD by Evidence Records in 2000 (with a light grey cover).
It is quite different from his earlier recordings, drawing heavily on funk, R&B and jazz fusion. Lanquidity is also unusual in featuring two guitarists, which were seldom used in the Arkestra. The funk influence is also considerable, especially on "That's How I Feel". That track also contains a prominent tenor sax solo by John Gilmore, Sun Ra's sideman from the 1950s until Sun Ra's death in 1993.
Spin magazine called Lanquidity "a beautiful place to enter Ra's psych-jazz omniverse", while Alternative Press wrote that it is "impossibly funky": "Often compared to Miles Davis' heaviest jazz-rock-funk fusion, Lanquidity is dense, rhythmic and curiously hypnotic". Music journalist Robert Christgau is a fan of the album.
- "Lanquidity" – 8:19
- "Where Pathways Meet" – 6:30
- "That's How I Feel" – 8:09
- "Twin Stars of Thence" – 9:30
- "There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)" – 10:58
- Sun Ra: Organ, Synthesizer, Piano, Arranger, Keyboards, Hammond organ, Electric piano, Vocals, Bells, Arp, Fender Rhodes, Orchestra Bells, Mini Moog
- John Gilmore: Tenor saxophone
- Danny Ray Thompson: Flute, Baritone saxophone
- Eddie Gale: Trumpet
- Michael Ray: trumpet, flugelhorn
- Marshall Allen: Flute, Oboe, Alto saxophone
- Luqman Ali: Percussion
- Artaukatune: Drums,Tympani
- Disco Kid: ( Slo Johnson ) Guitar
- Dale Williams: guitar
- Atakatun Odun: Congas
- Elo Omoe: Flute, Bass clarinet
- Julian Pressley: Baritone saxophone
- Richard Williams: bass
- James Jacson: oboe, basson, flute, voices
- June Tyson: voices
- Wuethrich, Matthew (12 January 2003). "Sun Ra: Lanquidity (1978)". Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Ruhlmann, William. Lanquidity at AllMusic
- "Sun Ra - Lanquidity CD Album". CD Universe. Muze. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 186. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Christgau, Robert (February 6, 2001). "Pazz & Jop Preview". The Village Voice (New York: Village Voice Media). p. 2. Retrieved 2012-07-14.