|Location||4420 Encinas Dr., Tract #41,508, La Cañada Flintridge, California|
|Coordinates||34°12′16″N 118°12′20″W / 34.20444°N 118.20556°W|
|Area||1.4 acres (0.57 ha)|
|Built by||Arthur L. Haley|
|Architectural style||Bungalow/American craftsman|
|NRHP reference No.||94001504|
|Added to NRHP||December 29, 1994|
Lanterman House is a bungalow-style historic house museum in La Cañada Flintridge, California on the National Register of Historic Places. The house was commissioned by Dr. Roy Lanterman in 1915 and was built by A. L. Haley (b. 1865), who was a prominent builder of both residences and commercial buildings in the Los Angeles area.
Lanterman, who had treated victims of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, insisted that the foundation, floors and walls of his house be built from reinforced concrete, and Haley interpreted the aesthetics of Craftsman-style wood-built bungalows in the new material. The house retains much of its original furniture and finishes, including a grand ballroom that occupies the entire second floor, and Dr. Lanterman's consulting rooms in the basement.
The property was opened as a museum in 1993 and is managed by the Lanterman Foundation. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. It is home to the Lanterman House Archives, which contains family materials as well as documents and photographs from the defunct La Cañada Flintridge Historical Society.
The Lanterman House is open for tours most Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. and the first and third Sundays of each month from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. The Lanterman House History Center and Archive is available for public research by appointment. It is recommended that you call before visiting.
- ^ a b c "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ "4420 Encinas Dr, la Canada Flintridge, CA 91011 - Property & Neighborhood Report | Homefacts".
- ^ a b c Lanterman Foundation. "Lanterman House". Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- ^ "Arthur L. Haley". Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD). Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- ^ "A. L. Haley, Architect (Inc.)". Los Angeles Herald. 34 (167). 17 March 1907. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- ^ Kapitanoff, Nancy (26 August 1994). "The Lanterman Legacy". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- ^ Lanterman Foundation. "Lanterman Historic House Archives". Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- Houses in Los Angeles County, California
- Historic house museums in California
- Museums in Los Angeles County, California
- La Cañada Flintridge, California
- Houses on the National Register of Historic Places in California
- Buildings and structures on the National Register of Historic Places in Los Angeles County, California
- Houses completed in 1915
- Bungalow architecture in California