|Predecessor||The Weinstein Company|
|Founded||July 16, 2018|
|Founders||Andy Mitchell |
|Andy Mitchell (co-president) |
Milos Brajovic (co-president)
Eric Hohl (CEO)
|Owner||Lantern Capital Partners|
Number of employees
Spyglass Media Group
On July 16, 2018, the Dallas-based equity firm Lantern Capital Partners bought the assets of The Weinstein Company for $289 million. Lantern Entertainment was formed and assumed the rights to TWC's 277-film library. In November 2018, Lantern acquired full control of three Quentin Tarantino films (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight), originally released by The Weinstein Company, for $6.1 million.
On March 13, 2019, Lantern and Gary Barber launched Spyglass Media Group, which will host the former TWC library. Italian film distributor Eagle Pictures, cinema chain Cineworld (which own Regal Cinemas) and later AT&T's Warner Bros. were brought in as minority holders.
|The Upside||January 11, 2019||Co-distribution with STX Entertainment|
|The Current War||October 4, 2019||International co-distribution with Lantern Entertainment; distributed in the US by 101 Studios|
|Polaroid||TBD||International co-distribution with 13 Films|
|The Boys in the Boat||TBD||Co-distribution with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer|
|The Reaper||NBC||TBA|
- Kilday, Gregg (July 16, 2018). "Weinstein Co. Saga Comes to an End as $289 Million Sale to Lantern Closes". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on July 18, 2018. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Lang, Brent (March 13, 2019). "Gary Barber Teams With Lantern Entertainment to Launch Spyglass Media Group". Variety. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- Chmielewski, Dawn C. (July 16, 2018). "Lantern Entertainment Closes $289 Million Acquisition of The Weinstein Co.'s Assets". Deadline. Archived from the original on July 24, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- Marotta, Jenna (July 16, 2018). "The Weinstein Company Is No More: Buyer Lantern Capital Partners Rebrands as Lantern Entertainment". IndieWire. Archived from the original on July 18, 2018. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- "Lantern Finally Owns The Weinstein Company's Remains - Now What?". TheWrap. July 23, 2018. Archived from the original on August 19, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- Maddaus, Gene (November 13, 2018). "Lantern Entertainment Pays $5.5 Million to Take Three Quentin Tarantino Films". Variety. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Vlessing, Etan (October 8, 2018). "Benedict Cumberbatch's 'The Current War' to Get International Release". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 9, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- "TWC Project 'Boys in the Boat' Afloat Again in Partnership Between MGM and Lantern Entertainment". October 30, 2018.