|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
Aeropuerto de Lanzarote
|IATA: ACE – ICAO: GCRR|
|Operator||Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea|
|Location||San Bartolomé, Las Palmas|
|Elevation AMSL||14 m / 47 ft|
Lanzarote Airport (IATA: ACE, ICAO: GCRR) (Spanish: Aeropuerto de Lanzarote), also known as Arrecife Airport, is the airport serving the island of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands. The airport is located in San Bartolomé, Las Palmas, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) southwest of the town of Arrecife. It handles flights to many European airports, with hundreds of thousands of tourists each year, as well as internal flights to other Spanish airports. It handled 5,883,039 passengers in 2014.
In the 1930s a need for an aerodrome on the island became evident when connections were required with the other islands and the mainland, as well as a refuelling point for aircraft. Subsequently an airfield was built at Llanos de Gaucimeta. The first aircraft to land at the airport was a Junkers Ju 52 EC-DAM on the 24 July 1941. The Spanish Air Force then saw a need for a permanent aerodrome for defence purposes, and this was constructed in Arrecife. In 1946 the airport provisionally accepted civil traffic. Improvements were carried out to the existing facilities, with a runway extension and additional ramp space provided.
A new passenger terminal was constructed along with a control centre, and on 3 March 1970 international and domestic flights began using the airport. A centrepiece of the Gaucimeta terminal was the mural created by Caesar Manrique entitled ‘Lanzarote’.
Development since the 1990s
The growing use of the airport called for the need of improved facilities. DME, ILS and VOR facilities were installed for Runway 03/21 along with additional holding points. New runway lighting and a fire station were also commissioned. In 1999 a new passenger terminal opened (Terminal 1), with a capacity of 6 million passengers per annum. Since then, the original passenger terminal has been revamped and is now used for inter-island flights (Terminal 2).
In 2002, in response to interest from both tourists and local people about the island's aviation heritage, Aena decided to use the Guacimeta passenger terminal as an aviation museum. The museum provides a comprehensive and detailed insight into the history of aviation on the island. There are a number of audio-visual presentations.
Airlines and destinations
Airlines and routes from Lanzarote Airport, Winter 2015/16:
|Updated: 16 January 2015. 2014 data Provisional.|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
- "Lanzarote Aerodrome fact sheet". AIP Spain. 18 October 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 January 2013.
- "Estadsticas - Aeropuertos Espaoles y Navegacin Area - aena-aeropuertos.es". Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- http://aviability.com/flight-number/flight-ei923-aer-lingus EI923 departure dates
- http://aviability.com/flight-number/flight-ux7116-air-europa UX7116 departure dates
- http://www.anna.aero/2015/11/18/austrian-airlines-makes-marrakech/ Anna Aero Press Release
- "Lanzarote Arrecife to Basel (BSL) - Cheap Flights £34.43 or less". Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Edelweiss Air Airport Timetable, https://www.edelweissair.ch/en/destinations/plan/ACE/
- http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/mediaen_7.html?Id=xml_1751408.html Finnair Media Bulletin
- https://www.flygermania.com/en/flight-information/route-map/ Germania Route Map
- http://www.anna.aero/2015/11/09/germania-flies-off-funchal-lanzarote-two-german-airports/ Anna Aero Press Release
- "Ryanair Expands Berlin Schoenefeld Routes from Nov 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- theFactor.e. "Vliegen naar Lanzarote". Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Corendon Airlines - List of airlines - Lanzarote Airport - Aena". Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Enter Air Website
- http://www.tenerifenews.com/2015/09/italian-giant-comes-back-to-lanzarote/. Missing or empty
- Star Tour Timetable, http://www.startour.no/om-star-tour/flyprogram/bergen/
- Apollo Travel Timetable, http://www.apollo.no/reiser/charterferie/flyprogram/vinter-1516
- title=ITAKA tour operator website http://www.itaka.pl/linie_lotnicze/travelservice/ title=ITAKA tour operator website Check
value (help). Missing or empty
- http://www.tui.nl/corporate/persbericht/arkefly-verplaatst-antillenvluchten-vanaf-einhoven-airport-naar-schiphol.html. Missing or empty
- "Tráfico de pasajeros, operaciones y carga en los aeropuertos españoles (2012)" (PDF) (in Spanish). Aena. Archived 25 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Tráfico de pasajeros, operaciones y carga en los aeropuertos españoles (2013)" (PDF) (in Spanish). Aena. Archived 25 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Tráfico de pasajeros, operaciones y carga en los aeropuertos españoles (2014)" (PDF) (in Spanish). Aena. Archived 25 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
Media related to Lanzarote Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (English) (Spanish)