Motto in English
|Constantly Improving, Blazing Our Own Path|
|Type||national key university of P.R.China Project 985 & Project 211|
|President||Wang Cheng 王乘|
|Location||Lanzhou, Gansu, People's Republic of China|
Lanzhou University (simplified Chinese: 兰州大学; traditional Chinese: 蘭州大學; pinyin: Lánzhōu Dàxué) is a major research university in Lanzhou, Gansu Province, China. Founded in 1909, it is one of the key universities under China's Ministry of Education (Project 985 & Project 211). It provides programs for undergraduate, graduate students on four campuses—three in Lanzhou city centre and one in Yuzhong County, about 30 miles away from the main campus. Total enrolment is approximately 20,000. Undergraduate students study at the Yuzhong campus. There are 6 National Bases for the Training of Researching and Teaching personnel for Fundamental Disciplines. The University operates an additional 35 institutes along with 1 national key Laboratory of the Applied Organic and 3 key laboratories of Arid and Grassland Ecology, West China Environment, Magnetism and Magnetic Materials of the Ministry of Education, a key laboratory of Grassland Agro-ecosystem of the Ministry of Agriculture. Lanzhou University was one of the first universities entitled to enroll Bachelor Master’s and Doctoral degree candidates in 1981. Lanzhou University is one of the top ten universities in contributions to academic publications in international journals frequently cited by ongoing research from around the world.
Lanzhou University had formerly been one of China's premier institutions of higher learning with its position as the best university in Northwestern China.
Lanzhou University maintains one of China's top ten Ph.D. programs in physics, chemistry, and geography and highly ranked programs in information science, biology, botany, mathematics, history, media, ecology and Chinese literature.
Lanzhou University's main campus is a ten-minute walk from Lanzhou Train Station. Parts of the campus are considered aesthetically pleasing, particularly in comparison to the rest of highly industrialized Lanzhou, with a small park and man-made pond. Although the old dormitory buildings were in disrepair, the campus is undergoing an overhaul of its image. New dormitories are being built, with some finished already.
Lanzhou University employs instructors from outside China in foreign languages (e.g. English, Russian and Japanese) and in physics, as well as frequently inviting guest lecturers from a variety of fields. It also has a popular Friday gathering within the gardens of the university to allow students to practice their English language skills. Non-university students are generally allowed to attend such gatherings.
Lanzhou University has three primary laboratories and analytical testing facility sanctioned by the Chinese Ministry of Education and deemed as high importance to the state.
Laboratory of Arid Agroecology
The laboratory was founded in 1991 under ratification of the Planning Commission of China and engaged in arid agriculture ecology research. The Laboratory of Arid Agroecology is the only lab engaged in arid agriculture ecology research under the Chinese Ministry of Education. The lab has been highly developed on the basis of the authorization to confer bachelor, masters, doctorate and post-doctoral degrees through the financial aid of the World Bank loan.
Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry
The Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry was one of the first state key laboratories ratified by Planning Commission of China. It was founded in December 1987, open to visiting scholars and scientists from both within China and abroad. It is one primary laboratories to cultivate talents for organic chemistry. The researches of the laboratory focus on organic molecular chemistry of special function, especially in the field of basic research on active organic molecules.
Open Laboratory of Applied Magnetism
Created in 1993 by the Chinese Ministry of Education, this is an open laboratory conducting research in the field of Applied Magnetism. The lab is chiefly engaged in studies on applications of perpendicular magnetic recording. The laboratory also conducts research and development on new applied magnetic materials which can be used for commercial applications. Mossbauer spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resource spin echo spectroscopy and general magnetic testing media are used to study magnetic materials’ microscopic structure and general magnetic behavior. The laboratory is equipped with major facilities including a vibrating sample magnetometer, high pressure mossbauer spectroscope and magnetron sputtering system, along with many others. The lab also serves as a key resource for research in materials science and condensed matter physics.
The laboratory has 24 professional researchers and technicians, among who are 4 doctoral advisers.
Analytical Testing Center
Financed by the first loan issued by the World Bank to develop universities, construction on this center began in 1982. It contains more than 20 major instruments and devices including a High-Resolution Mass Spectrometer, Infrared Spectrometer, X-Ray Quadrupole Diffractometer, Laser Raman Spectrometer, FT-IR Spectrometer, and others. The center is primarily engaged in the determination and analysis of the structure of matter. It also conducts graduate students’ experiments which leads to the conferring of Master’s and Ph.D. degrees. A testing service is available to the public.
Established by the State Technology Superintendency in 1992, it is the approved lab for the inspection of imported and exported chemical and mining products.
Schools and Colleges of Lanzhou University
- School of Earth Sciences
- School of Network Education
- Sports Teaching and Research Department
- School of Arts
- School of Management
- School of Education
- Second Clinical School
- First Clinical School
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Pastoral Agriculture Science and Technology
- School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- School of Atmospheric Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Nuclear Science and Technology
- School of Physical Science and Technology
- School of Philosophy and Sociology
- School of Foreign Languages and Literature
- School of International Cultural Exchange
- Cuiying Honors Collegehttp://chc.lzu.edu.cn/en/
- School of Law
- School of Economics
- School of Marxism
- School of History and Culture
- School of Journalism and Communication
- Ethnology Institute
- School of Chinese Language and Literature
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Research School of Arid Environment and Climate Change
- School of Information Science and Engineering
- School of Civil Engineering and Mechanics
- School of Public Health
- School of Dental Medicine
- School of Continuing Education
- Qilin Zhou - Professor, Director of The State Key Laboratory of Elemento-organic Chemistry, Nankai University. Academian of Chinese Academy of Science, B.S. of LZU
- Xiaojing Zheng - Professor of School of Civil Engineering & Mechanics, Chair of Graduate School, Lanzhou University, Academian of Chinese Academy of Science, Ph.D. of LZU
- Yongqiang Tu - Professor of College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lanzhou University, Academian of Chinese Academy of Science, Ph.D., M.S., B.S. of LZU
- Niu Yaoling - Professor of Earth Sciences, Durham University, UK, Graduated from LZU Geology in 1981 
- Hu Qing - Professor of Electrical Engineering, MIT, Graduated from LZU Physics
- Qin Dahe - Chairman of China Meteorology Administration, Academian of Chinese Academy of Science, Graduated from LZU geography
- Liu Renhuai - President of Jinan University, Academian of Chinese Academy of Science, Graduated from LZU mechanics
- Shui Junyi - top 10 Distinguished young people, Celebrated TV program host, Graduated from LZU foreign language
- Li Yang - founder of Crazy English, Co., Ltd., Graduated from LZU mechanics
- Lu Hao - Governor of Gansu Province, Graduated from LZU Chemistry
- Yang Liming - Vice Secretary of Inner Mongolia, Graduated from LZU Philosophy
- Zhang Xuezhong - Vice Secretary of Sichuan Province, Graduated from LZU Chinese Language
- Liu Hongxiu - Vice Governor of [Guizhou Province], Graduated from LZU Chinese Language
- Shen Yu - President of Beijing University of Industry and Business, Graduated from LZU Mathematics
- Dong Wenjie - Director of The National Meteorology Center, Graduated from LZU Atmosphere
- Sun Zhaolin - President of Liaoning Petrochemical University, LZU Chemistry
- Lin Xiping - President of Jiangsu Institute of Technology, LZU Chemistry
- Huang Bo - CEO at CHINAEDU CORP, www.chinaedu.net, a NASDAQ listed company, Class of 1985, Biology, LZU
- Dr. Chen Miao, Science Leader in surface modification at the molecular scale, The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation of Australia, Ph.D at LZU Chemistry
- Luck Huang, President at Radlink, Inc., www.radlink.com, Dept. of Physics, LZU
- Dr. Ma Jiong, Principal at Braemar Energy Ventures, a venture capital firm devoted to financing companies developing new technologies for conventional and alternative energy markets, http://www.braemarenergy.com, Dept. of Physics, LZU
- Myles J. Gao, COO at Silvercorp Metals, Inc., a NYSE Amex listed company, www.silvercorpmetals.com, Dept. of Geology, Class of 1978, LZU
- Dr. George Yang, Chief Economist at the ZGC Shiner Investment and Management Co. Ltd, Class of 1983, Dept. of Mathematics, LZU
- Dr. Jerome Z. Liang, VP at Viatronix, Inc., www.viatronix.com, Class of 1978, Dept. of Physics, LZU
- Yi Gang Shen, CTO at China Information Security Technology, Incorporated, a NASDAQ listed company, www.chinacpby.com, Dept. of Electronics and Information Science, LZU
- He Guosen, Senior Investment Manager, Shenzhen Capital Group Co., Ltd, China, Dept. of Chemistry, LZU
- Wang Yong, Executive Director, Beijing Development (Hong Kong) Ltd., www.bdhk.com, Dept. of Chinese Studies, LZU
- Xin Weirong (William Xin), Founder, Managing Partner at Golden Leaf Investment Group, Inc. Class of 1985, Dept. of Modern Physics, LZU
- Wu Yundong, theoretical organic chemist
- Shu Hongbing, biologist, academician of Chinese Academy of Science, B.S. of LZU
- "兰州大学校训". Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- "University Motto". Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- Brilliant Legend Studio_飞煌工作室_http://www.fhuang.com. "兰州大学党委宣传部 - 规章制度≡≡≡". Xcb.lzu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- 关于有奖征集兰州大学首页图画版页面的通知 - 兰州大学新闻网 ≡══───────── (in Chinese). News.lzu.edu.cn. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Who's Who in China's Leadership: Zhang Xuezhong". china.org.cn. Retrieved 2015-09-29.