Lao Gan Ma
|Created by||Tao Huabi|
|Main ingredients||Chili peppers|
|Cookbook: Lao Gan Ma Media: Lao Gan Ma|
Lao Gan Ma (Chinese: 老干妈; also called Laoganma) or Old Godmother is a brand of chili sauces that are made in China. The sauce is produced by Laoganma Special Flavour Foodstuffs Company, which was established in 1997. Development of the sauce began in August 1996 by Tao Huabi (陶华碧), who employed 40 people at that time in a workshop environment. 1.3 million bottles of the sauce are produced daily. The product is sold in China and in over 30 countries. Tao Huabi is the owner of the company, and her son Li Guishan became the first president of the company. Women of China magazine reported in January 2011 that the company's assets were 1.3 billion yuan (US $190 million) and that the company had 2,000 employees at that time.
A variety of flavors are produced, such as oil chili, hot and spicy, beef soybean and flavored chili chicken, among others.
Recalled in Australia
On 25 February 2015, due to the failure to declare the fact that the chili sauce contains peanuts, which may cause strong reactions to those allergic to peanuts, Tek Shing Trading PTY (Lao Gan Ma's importer) recalled all products that contained peanuts in New South Wales and also indicated that buyers could be refunded.
Counterfeit products that are similar to Lao Gan Ma proliferated in China, which Tao countered by utilizing a branch of third-party private enterprises to target counterfeiter businesses. Counterfeit products proliferated due to an application to trademark the product being denied by the Chinese government. After the trademark request was denied, over 50 counterfeit Lao Gan Ma came into fruition. The trademark application was later approved in 2003 after a lengthy lawsuit against a counterfeiter in Hunan Province.
- Spice cream: Try a Lao Gan Ma chili sauce sundae｜Society｜News｜WantChinaTimes.com Archived 2014-08-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- The illiterate woman behind the Laoganma chili sauce excelene salsaempire｜Economy｜People｜WantChinaTimes.com Archived 2014-08-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Guizhou's Laoganma achieves revenue of 510 million yuan
- "Chili Sauce Empress". Women of China. January 13, 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Products". Lao Gan Ma. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Lao Gan Ma chili sauce recalled in Australia over undeclared peanut". Want ChinaTimes. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- Official website (in English)