Laredo Honey Badgers
|Stadium||Laredo Energy Arena
6700 Arena Boulevard
Laredo, Texas 78041
|Owner||Dr. Judson Somerville|
|General Manager||Robbie Garcia|
The Laredo Honey Badgers were an American professional indoor soccer franchise based in Laredo, Texas. Founded in April 2013, the team was expected to make its debut in the Professional Arena Soccer League with the 2013–14 season but that launch was initially delayed until 2014 then cancelled after owner Judson Somerville suffered financial and legal setbacks. The team was to play its home games at the Laredo Energy Arena.
The team's initial name, Laredo Diesel, and colors (black and chrome) were decided with fan participation and announced in May 2013. On July 24, 2013, Laredo franchise owner Dr. Judson Somerville named Robbie Garcia as the team's general manager and, citing marketability, announced that the team had changed its name from Diesel to Honey Badgers.
On September 17, 2013, team officials confirmed that they would not debut as planned after the league's 2013–14 schedule did not include them. General manager Robbie Garcia cited the limited time the team had to organize and committed to launching in the 2014–15 season.
This postponement became cancellation after Somerville's other sports franchise, the Laredo Rattlesnakes of the Lone Star Football League, announced that team was ceasing operations on September 30, 2013, citing the legal and financial difficulties facing the owner.
- Bailey, Ryan (April 18, 2013). "Indoor Soccer Coming to Laredo". Laredo, TX: KGNS-TV. Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Ellison, Andrew (December 13, 2013). "Local Doctor Stopped From Giving Out Meds". Corpus Christi, TX: KRIS-TV. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Professional Arena Soccer League Coming to Laredo Energy Arena". Professional Arena Soccer League. April 18, 2013. Archived from the original on May 15, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Indoor Soccer Coming to Laredo". Laredo, TX: KGNS-TV. May 18, 2013. Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Mack, Jason (July 25, 2013). "Breaking: Garcia new GM, Diesel change name". Laredo Morning Times. Laredo, TX: Hearst Corporation. Archived from the original on July 25, 2013. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Bailey, Ryan (September 17, 2013). "Honey Badgers Confirm No 2013 Season". Laredo, TX: KGNS-TV. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Mack, Jason (September 17, 2013). "Honey Badgers not playing in PASL". Laredo Morning Times. Laredo, TX: Hearst Corporation. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Mack, Jason (September 30, 2013). "Rattlesnakes cease operation". Laredo Morning Times. Laredo, TX: Hearst Corporation. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Rojas, Christine (November 25, 2013). "Rattlesnakes Leave Laredo". The Laredo Sun. Laredo, TX. Retrieved December 9, 2013.