High-capacity magazine (or large-capacity magazine) is a legal term that, in the United States, generally refers to magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds, although the number varies among different jurisdictions for different kinds of firearms.
In the U.S. since the 1980s, magazine capacity has been a subject of debate regarding civilian firearms. Many assault weapon bans since then have included or been accompanied by high-capacity or large-capacity magazine bans. The National Rifle Association (NRA) defines high-capacity magazine as "[an] inexact, non-technical term indicating a magazine holding more rounds than might be considered 'average.'" In 2011, the Glock website said that a standard magazine for its 9mm semiautomatic pistol is between 13 and 17 rounds. The same year, the rabbinic director of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) endorsed the use of high-capacity magazines. Some commentators and gun rights advocates call such devices "so-called high-capacity magazines." The debate regarding magazine capacity intensified in the U.S. after the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. In January 2013, President Barack Obama included a ban on gun magazines with capacities of more than 10 rounds in a list of gun-control laws he asked Congress to pass.
- Assault weapon
- Assault weapons legislation in the United States
- Gun politics in the United States
- High-capacity magazine ban
- Rose, Veronica (January 24, 2013). "Laws onHigh Capacity Magazines". cga.ct.gov. Connecticut General Assembly. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines Policy Summary". smartgunlaws.org. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. May 31, 2013. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "NRA-ILA Glossary". nraila.org. NRA Institute for Legislative Action. 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- McCombs, Brady (January 13, 2011). "Bill would ban gun magazines with more than 10 rounds". Arizona Daily Star.
A standard magazine for a 9mm Glock semiautomatic pistol holds between 13 and 17 rounds, according to the Glock website.
- Bendory, Dovid (2011). "Five Reasons Why You Should Want High Capacity Magazines". jpfo.org. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Root, Damon (March 7, 2014). "Court: Bans on High-Capacity Magazines Are 'Only the Most Minor Burden on the Second Amendment'". reason.com. Reason Foundation. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Nimmo, Kurt (March 11, 2014). "Supremes May Block Ban On High Capacity Magazines". Infowars.com. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Obama announces 23 executive actions, asks Congress to pass gun laws". CNN. January 16, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Jonsson, Patrik (January 16, 2013). "Gun debate 101: Time to ban high-capacity magazines?". Christian Science Monitor (Christian Science Monitor). Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Richman, Josh (March 12, 2014). "Sunnyvale gun law: Supreme Court justice refuses to stay ban on large-capacity magazines". San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, California). Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Shermer, Michael (2013). "The Sandy Hook Effect". Skeptic. Retrieved April 24, 2014.