|Born||September 18, 1981|
|Genres||Folk, psychedelic folk, experimental|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, musician|
|Labels||Northern Spy Records, Secret Eye Records, Young God Records|
Early Life and Career
At age 20 dropped out of Yale University and moved to Alaska, where she hiked and began to experiment with singing. Several months later she was convinced by a friend to return to Yale and graduate with her degree in Studio Art. Before leaving Yale, She began recording her first album Harpoon, which was partly influenced by Grimm's experiences performing with the Dirty Projectors. Grimm then moved to Providence, Rhode Island, where she has since produced another album called The Last Tree. Larkin's third album Parplar was released October 2008 by Young God Records.
In 2017 Grimm released her album Chasing an Illusion on Northern Spy Records. Chasing an Illusion was recorded in a natural cave featuring raw vocals and working from live recordings layered on the same mixing board used for David Bowie’s Young Americans. Sasha Geffen's review on Pitchfork states, "These paradoxical moments of sorrowful lyrics against spirited playing make up the crux of the magic Grimm weaves on Chasing an Illusion. Pain can be paralyzing, but it can also level the ground for something new to grow. Pain and the healing that follows it can turn us loose."
- Harpoon (Secret Eye, 2005)
- The Last Tree (Secret Eye, 2006)
- Parplar (Young God Records, 2008)
- Larkin Grimm / Extra Life 12" (split single with Extra Life) (2011)
- Soul Retrieval (Bad Bitch Records, 2012)
- Chasing an Illusion (Northern Spy Records, 2017)
- Hungry Ghosts: These Songs Are Doors (2007) by Mudboy
- We Are Him (2007) by Angels of Light
- Technicolor Health (2009) by Harlem Shakes
- Boy from Black Mountain (2009) by Beat Circus
- Made Flesh (2010) by Extra Life
- No Más (2010) by Javelin
- "Spinning On Air: Larkin Grimm (April 15, 2007)". WNYC. Archived from the original on September 5, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Larkin Grimm : liverecensie op KindaMuzik". www.kindamuzik.net. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- LECHNER, Marie (2007-04-06). "Folk allumé aux Instants chavirés" (French). Libération. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Göteborgs-Posten/Utskriftsversion". www.gp.se. Archived from the original on 2009-04-25. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Larkin Grimm". Young God Records. Archived from the original on 2010-01-06. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- "Chasing An Illusion – Northern Spy Records". northernspyrecs.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- "Larkin Grimm: Chasing an Illusion Album Review | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Raggett, Ned. "Soul Retrieval: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Hungry Ghosts: These Songs Are Doors – Mudboy". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "We Are Him – Angels of Light". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Technicolor Health – Harlem Shakes". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Boy from Black Mountain – Beat Circus". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Made Flesh – Extra Life". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "No Más – Javelin". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- Official website
- Larkin Grimm Official Bandcamp Page
- Larkin Grimm Official Myspace Page
- Naturalismo Interview with Larkin Grimm, November 2008
|This article on a singer-songwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|