Larkin Poe performing at Blacksheep Festival in 2014
|Origin||Calhoun, Georgia, USA|
|Genres||Roots rock, soul rock, psychedelic folk, folk rock, Americana|
|Associated acts||The Lovell Sisters|
|Members||Rebecca Lovell (lead vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, piano), Megan Lovell (vocals, lapsteel), Kelly McCarty (vocals, electric bass), Kevin McGowan (drums)|
Larkin Poe is an American roots rock band from Atlanta, GA fronted by sisters Rebecca Lovell (born January 30, 1991) and Megan Lovell (born May 12, 1989). Featuring strong southern harmonies, heavy electric guitar riffs, and slide guitar, they are often touted as "the little sisters of the Allman Brothers". The band performed at the 2014 and 2016 Glastonbury Festival, and were voted "Best Discovery of Glastonbury 2014" by England's The Observer.
Rebecca & Megan Lovell began their musical careers in 2005 as teenagers with the formation of a bluegrass/Americana group, the Lovell Sisters, with their eldest sister, Jessica Lovell. After self-releasing two independent albums and touring successfully for four years - appearing on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion, the Grand Ole Opry, and performing at Bonnaroo Music Festival - the Lovell Sisters announced the group's disbandment in December 2009. In January 2010, Rebecca and Megan regrouped as Larkin Poe. "Larkin Poe" was the name of the sisters' great-great-great grandfather.
Over the course of 3 years (2010-2013), Larkin Poe self-released 5 independent EPs, 2 collaboration albums, and a live performance DVD. Spring EP (2010), Summer EP (2010), Fall EP (2010), Winter EP (2010), Thick As Thieves EP (2011), The Sound of the Ocean Sound a collaboration with Thom Hell (2013), Killing Time EP a collaboration with Blair Dunlop (2013).
In late 2013, Larkin Poe signed a record deal with RH Music, the music division of San Francisco-based company Restoration Hardware. Following this signing, the band began work on their first full-length album, KIN.
In March 2014, Producer T Bone Burnett tapped the sisters to record harmonies and instrumentation on The New Basement Tapes' album Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes alongside Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons, Elvis Costello, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes (band), and Rhiannon Giddens. Rebecca and Megan also appear in the 2014 Showtime documentary Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued.
In April 2016, the sisters released their sophomore album Reskinned. They also performed on Steven Tyler's album We're All Somebody from Somewhere, which was released in July of the same year.
Notable touring: performing at Glastonbury Festival 2014 (June 2014), performing with Elvis Costello at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN (June 2014) and Kew Gardens in London, England (July 2014), performing with Kristian Bush at The O2 Arena in London, England (March 2013),
- Rebecca Lovell: lead vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, piano
- Megan Lovell: harmony vocals, lapsteel, dobro
- Tarka Layman: electric bass
- Kevin McGowan: drums
- KIN (2014)
- Reskinned (2016)
- Peach (2017)
- Spring (2010)
- Summer (2010)
- Fall (2010)
- Winter (2010)
- Thick as Thieves (2011)
- Live from Stongfjorden (2012)
- The Rainy Day Sessions EP by A Rocket to the Moon (2010)
- Blight and Blossom by Blair Dunlop (2012)
- Shuffle and Deal by Gilmore & Roberts (2012)
- Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes by The New Basement Tapes (2014)
- Southern Gravity by Kristian Bush (2015)
- Detour: Live at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall by Elvis Costello (2015)
- We're All Somebody from Somewhere by Steven Tyler (2016)
- Lovell Sisters call it quits as a trio
- The Lovell Sisters are now Larkin Poe
- Larkin Poe Releases New Album Reskinned
- Larkin Poe Open Up About Their New Album ‘RESKINNED’
- Larkin Poe Has Trouble In Mind
- Ages of Atlanta: The music
- Tom Petty Joined by Foo Fighters, Stevie Nicks & Many More at Epic MusiCares Tribute Show
- MusiCares Person of the Year tribute features Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks and Atlanta’s Larkin Poe
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larkin Poe.|