Larkspur, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Larkspur
Neighbourhood
Larkspur is located in Edmonton
Larkspur
Larkspur
Location of Larkspur in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°28′44″N 113°22′55″W / 53.479°N 113.382°W / 53.479; -113.382Coordinates: 53°28′44″N 113°22′55″W / 53.479°N 113.382°W / 53.479; -113.382
Country Canada
Province Alberta
CityEdmonton
Quadrant[1]NW
Ward[1]12
Sector[2]Southeast
Area[3][4]The Meadows
Government
 • MayorDon Iveson
 • Administrative bodyEdmonton City Council
 • CouncillorMohinder Banga
Area
 • Total1.66 km2 (0.64 sq mi)
Elevation
711 m (2,333 ft)
Population
 (2012)[7]
 • Total4,988
 • Density3,004.8/km2 (7,782/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12)
Increase3%
 • Dwellings
1,678

Larkspur is a southeast residential neighbourhood in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is part of The Meadows area, located just to the east of the Mill Woods area.

It is bounded on the west by 34 Street, on the east by 17 Street, on the north by Whitemud Drive and on the south by 38 Avenue. Because of curves in the routes followed by Whitemud Drive and 38 Avenue, the neighbourhood's east end is much narrower than its west end.

The neighbourhood includes the Meadowbrook retail area at the southwest corner and a new and larger retail area that is still under development at its east end.

Surrounding residential neighbourhoods are Kiniski Gardens to the west and south west, Wild Rose to the south, and Tamarack to the east and south east. To the north is the South East Industrial subdivision, the north west is the Pylypow Industrial subdivision, and to the north east is the Maple Ridge Industrial subdivision.

Larkspur is a newer neighbourhood with most residential construction occurring between 1985 and 2005.[8] Almost all (98%) of the housing in the neighbourhood is owner occupied, with the most common housing type being single family homes (88%).[9] The remaining 12% are duplexes. The average number of residents per household is 3.4, with almost half (46%) or households having four or five people.[10] In 2006, the City of Edmonton named Larkspur as one of the 20 sites that will be part of their long term multi-pronged housing strategy to create a wider range of housing options to address the city's growing needs, called the First Place Home Ownership Program.[11][12]

Velma E. Baker School, which is located adjacent to Larkspur Park, is the only school in the neighbourhood, .

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Larkspur had a population of 4,988 living in 1,678 dwellings,[7] a 3% change from its 2009 population of 4,841.[13] With a land area of 1.66 km2 (0.64 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,004.8 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 2, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect" (PDF). City of Edmonton. November 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 17, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  5. ^ "Mayor and City Council". City of Edmonton. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
  6. ^ a b "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  8. ^ "Larkspur Housing" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2001. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
  9. ^ "Larkspur Housing 2" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2005. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
  10. ^ "Larkspur Census" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2001. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
  11. ^ Edmonton, City of (2016-06-21). "About Us :: City of Edmonton". www.edmonton.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
  12. ^ "Larkspur Townhomes Edmonton - Rohit Communities". Edmonton. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
  13. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.

External links[edit]