|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
2001 hardback edition in its box
Larousse Gastronomique (pronounced: [la.ʁus ɡas.tʁɔ.nɔ.mik]) is an encyclopedia of gastronomy. The majority of the book is about French cuisine, and contains recipes for French dishes and cooking techniques. The first edition included few non-French dishes and ingredients; later editions include many more.
The first edition (1938) was edited by Prosper Montagné, with prefaces by Georges Auguste Escoffier and Philéas Gilbert. Gilbert was a collaborator in the creation of this book as well as Le Guide Culinaire with Escoffier, leading to some cross-over with the two books. It caused Escoffier to note when he was asked to write the preface that he could "see with my own eyes," and "Montagné cannot hide from me the fact that he has used Le Guide as a basis for his new book, and certainly used numerous recipes."
The third English edition (2001), which runs to approximately 1350 pages has been modernized and includes additional material on other cuisines. It is also available in a concise edition (2003). A new, updated and revised edition was released on 13 October 2009 published by Hamlyn in the UK.
- James, Kenneth. Escoffier: The King of Chefs. Hambledon and London: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Larousse Gastronomique, Prosper Montagné, maître cuisinier, avec la collaboration du docteur Gottschalk, Paris, Editions Larousse, 1938.
- 2001 2nd edition, ISBN 2-03-560227-0, with assistance from a gastronomic committee chaired by Joël Robuchon
- Larousse gastronomique: the encyclopedia of food, wine & cookery, Ed. Charlotte Turgeon and Nina Froud. New York, Crown Publishers, 1961. The English translation of the 1938 edition. ISBN 0-517-50333-6
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique: The New American Edition of the World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia. Edited by Jennifer Harvey Lang. New York: Crown, 1988. Second English edition.ISBN 0-609-60971-8
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia. Edited by Jennifer Harvey Lang. New York: Clarkson Potter, 2001. Third English edition. ISBN 978-0-600-62042-6
- James, 266–68
- Larousse Gastronomique; The Encyclopedia of Food, Wine, and Cookery (1961) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Larousse Gastronomique: The New American Edition of the World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia (1988) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia (2001) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|This France-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an encyclopedia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|