2001 hardback edition in its box
Larousse Gastronomique (pronounced: [la.ʁus ɡas.tʁɔ.nɔ.mik]) is an encyclopedia of gastronomy. The majority of the book is about French cuisine, and contains recipes for French dishes and cooking techniques. The first edition included few non-French dishes and ingredients; later editions include many more.
The first edition (1938) was edited by Prosper Montagné, with prefaces by Georges Auguste Escoffier and Philéas Gilbert. Gilbert was a collaborator in the creation of this book as well as Le Guide Culinaire with Escoffier, leading to some cross-over with the two books. It caused Escoffier to note when he was asked to write the preface that he could "see with my own eyes," and "Montagné cannot hide from me the fact that he has used Le Guide as a basis for his new book, and certainly used numerous recipes."
Translations and other editions
The book was translated into English in 1961.
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique: The Encyclopedia of Food, Wine, and Cookery. Edited by Charlotte Turgeon and Nina Froud. New York: Crown, 1961. First English edition.
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique: The New American Edition of the World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia. Edited by Jennifer Harvey Lang. New York: Crown, 1988. Second English edition.
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia. Edited by Jennifer Harvey Lang. New York: Clarkson Potter, 2001. Third English edition.
The third edition (2001), which runs to approximately 1350 pages has been modernized and includes additional material on other cuisines. It is also available in a concise edition (2003). A new, updated and revised edition was released on 13 October 2009 published by Hamlyn in the UK.
- James, 266–68
- Larousse Gastronomique; The Encyclopedia of Food, Wine, and Cookery (1961) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Larousse Gastronomique: The New American Edition of the World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia (1988) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia (2001) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- James, Kenneth. Escoffier: The King of Chefs. Hambledon and London: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Larousse Gastronomique, Prosper Montagné, maître cuisinier, avec la collaboration du docteur Gottschalk, Paris, Editions Larousse, 1938.
- Larousse gastronomique: the encyclopedia of food, wine & cookery, Ed. Charlotte Turgeon and Nina Froud. New York, Crown Publishers, 1961. The English translation of the 1938 edition. ISBN 0-517-50333-6
- 2001 2nd edition, ISBN 2-03-560227-0, with assistance from a gastronomic committee chaired by Joël Robuchon
- English translation of 2nd edition, ISBN 0-609-60971-8
- English translation of 3rd edition, ISBN 978-0-600-62042-6