Larry A. Martin
|Larry A. Martin|
|Member of the South Carolina Senate
from the 2nd district
|Succeeded by||Rex Rice|
June 20, 1957 |
Greenville, South Carolina
Larry A. Martin (born June 20, 1957) is a Republican and a former member of the South Carolina Senate, representing the 2nd District since 1992 until 2017. In 2012, he was named Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He previously served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1979 through 1992.
Martin attends Pickens First Baptist Church, where he has served as both Moderator and Sunday School Teacher.
Martin has served as Chairman of the Board of the SC 4-H Foundation, President of Pickens County United Way (1983), as the Chairman of the Governor’s School-to-Work Council(1997–99) and as the Chairman of the Tax Study Committee(1998). In addition, he has served as a member of the advisory committee of Pickens First National Bank, the Economic Development Committee of the Southern Legislative Conference, the advisory board of Rocky Bottom Camp of the Blind.
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1979
- Who’s Who in American Politics, 1981–82, 1983–84
- Personalities of the South, 1982–83
- National Federation of Independent Businesses “Guardian of Small Business” Award, 1999;
- S.C. Chamber of Commerce Public Servant of the Year, 2002;
- S.C. Association of Counties “Guardian of Home Rule” Award, 2003;
- Anderson-Oconee-Pickens Area Mental Health “Patrick B. Harris Humanitarian Award for Public Serv.,” 2003
- 2004 Legislator of the Year Award by the National Federation of the Blind of S.C.
- Legislator of the Year for the Senate by the S.C. Human Services Providers Association, 2005
- National Alliance on Mental Illness “Mental Illness Champion 2006”
- Greenville Hospital System Children’s Hospital Development Council “Legislative Advocacy Award for 2006”
- S.C. Commission for the Blind Legislator of the Year, 2006
- Conservation Voters of S.C., 2006 “Conservation Champion”
- S.C. Manufacturers Alliance “Defender of Manufacturing 2007” Award
- Fraternal Order of Police, “2007 Senator of the Year”
- S.C. Apartment Association, “2007 Legislator of the Year”
- Home Builders Association of S.C., “2008 Hammer & Trowel Award”
- Palmetto Family Council, “2008 Legislator of the Year”
- Special recognition of service by S.C. Baptist Convention, Nov. 2008
- S.C. REALTORS, “2009 Legislator of the Year”
- S.C. Education Association Friend of Education, 2011