March 3, 1939|
Winter Park, Florida, United States
|Died||July 4, 2003
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
Cause of death
|Cancer and heart disease|
Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned to central Florida, where he worked in the space program at Cape Canaveral. He spent the next several years at the Space Center in charge of an experiments test facility that served the Mercury-, Gemini-, and Apollo-manned space programs. While working at the space center, Burkett earned degrees in marketing and finance at Rollins College.
Burkett left the Space Center in 1970 to become Vice President of an electronics manufacturing firm. In 1972, he became an evangelical Christian; an event that had a profound effect on his life. In 1973, he left the electronics company to join the staff of a nonprofit ministry, Campus Crusade for Christ, as a financial counselor where he met Austin Pryor, Ron Blue and other notable financial experts. It was during this time that he began an intense study of what the Bible says about handling money, and he started teaching small groups around the country.
Burkett left the campus ministry in 1976 to form Christian Financial Concepts (CFC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching the biblical principles of handling money. In September 2000, CFC merged with Crown Ministries, creating a new organization, Crown Financial Ministries. Burkett served as Chairman of the Board of Directors until his death.
Burkett published more than 70 books, sales of which now exceed 11 million copies and include several national best-sellers. The three radio programs that he began -- "Money Matters," "How to Manage Your Money," and "MoneyWatch," along with a series of short features titled "A Money Minute"—have been carried on more than 1,100 radio outlets worldwide. (Crown Financial Ministries has since replaced the three longer-form radio broadcasts with shows having different titles and reworked formats.) In May 1996, Southwest Baptist University conferred on Burkett an honorary doctorate in economics. His last book was Nothing to Fear, in which he gave an update on his experiences with cancer and cancer treatments.
Not long before his death, Burkett founded the Larry Burkett Cancer Research Foundation.
Larry's final book before his death was The Burkett & Blue Definitive Guide to Securing Wealth to Last, and was written with Ron Blue and Jeremy L. White.
In "The Coming Economic Earthquake" (Moody Press, Chicago, IL, 1991), Burkett delineated growing federal deficits and the ever increasing use of debt by business and households out of control. Burkett points out those severe economic times will appear sometime shortly after the millennium unless current polices are changed. Burkett believed that Keynesian economic policies, with ideals for continuing federal deficits and the implicit preference for higher levels of consumption, reduced saving, and a larger role for government in the economy, are a means to disaster.
Burkett wrote that as interest on the debt consumes a larger and larger portion of the yearly federal budget, and more money is borrowed each year to pay the interest on what was borrowed in previous years, there will be a temptation to "monetize" the debt at an increasing rate; this would lead to a calamity not seen since the Great Depression. Burkett questioned whether or not elected leaders would take action in time to prevent fiscal chaos and believed they would not.
- What Ever Happened to the American Dream
- The Coming Economic Earthquake
- Your Finances in Changing Times
- Business by the Book
- The Financial Planning Workbook
- Women Leaving the Workplace
- Investing for the Future
- Financial Parenting
- Debt-Free Living
- Hope When It Hurts
- and Great Is Thy Faithfulness
- Nothing to Fear
- The Complete Financial Guide for Young Couples
- Crisis Control in the New Millennium
- The Burkett & Blue Definitive Guide to Securing Wealth to Last (with Ron Blue and Jeremy L. White)
- Answers to Your Family's Financial Questions (ISBN 978-0-929608-08-2, 1987)
- The Illuminati
- The THOR Conspiracy
- Solar Flare
- Kingdom Come (with T. Davis Bunn)
- Larry Burkett, and Ron Blue (2007). Your Money After the Big 5-0: Wealth for the Second Half of Life. B&H Publishing Group. p. 225. ISBN 9780805444322.
- "Larry Burkett, Author and Speaker on Stewardship, Dies at 64". Cross Walk. July 7, 2003. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "Larry Burkett: A Christian Financial Pioneer". Christian PF. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- M Tsol (September 15, 2010). "10 Successful Christian Businessmen". Made Man. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Leonard Gaston (July 1, 1993). "Book Review: The Coming Economic Earthquake by Larry Burkett". Foundation for Economic Education. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Crown Financial Ministries
- Larry Burkett Cancer Research Foundation[dead link]
- Larry Burkett 1939 - 2003[dead link]
- Profile in Christianity Today
- Moody Publishers