|Full name||Lawrence Allen Gilbert, Sr.|
November 19, 1942|
Fort Knox, Kentucky
|Died||January 21, 1998
|College||Middle Tennessee State University|
|Former tour(s)||Champions Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|PGA Tour Champions||3|
|Best results in major championships
|U.S. Open||CUT: 1976, 1978, 1979|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
|PGA Championship||73rd: 1983|
Lawrence Allen Gilbert, Sr. (November 19, 1942 – January 21, 1998) was an American professional golfer best known for winning the 1997 Senior Players Championship, one of the major championships on the Senior PGA Tour.
Gilbert was born in Fort Knox, Kentucky. He attended Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and was a distinguished member of the golf team. Gilbert led Middle Tennessee State to victory in the 1965 NCAA Division II Men's Golf Championships for which Gilbert won the individual medal.
Gilbert spent most of his regular career years as a club pro in Kentucky and Tennessee. He won the PGA Club Professional Championship in 1981, 1982 and 1991. He also won ten Kentucky PGA Championships, three Kentucky Opens, one Tennessee Open and one Tennessee PGA Championship. Gilbert was inducted into the Kentucky Golf Hall of Fame in 1992; he is also a member of the Middle Tennessee State University Athletics Hall of Fame. He joined the Senior PGA Tour (later known as the Champions Tour) upon turning 50 in 1992.
Gilbert died in Lexington, Kentucky of lung cancer at the age of 55. He had started smoking cigarettes at an early age, and was often seen smoking a cigar while playing. He won the Senior Players Championship only 192 days before he died. He was survived by his wife, Brenda, and sons, Larry Jr. and Christopher.
Regular career wins
- 1968 Kentucky Open
- 1970 Tennessee Open
- 1971 Tennessee PGA Championship
- 1974 Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1975 Kentucky Open
- 1976 Kentucky Open
- 1979 Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1980 Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1981 PGA Club Professional Championship, Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1982 PGA Club Professional Championship, Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1984 Kentucky PGA Championship, Kentucky PGA Match Play Championship
- 1985 Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1986 Kentucky PGA Match Play Championship
- 1990 Kentucky PGA Championship
- 1991 PGA Club Professional Championship
Senior PGA Tour wins
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of victory||Runner(s)-up|
|1||Apr 24, 1994||Dallas Reunion Pro-Am||−8 (67-68-67=202)||1 stroke||George Archer, Rocky Thompson|
|2||Oct 2, 1994||Vantage Championship||−18 (66-66-66=198)||1 stroke||Raymond Floyd|
|3||Jul 13, 1997||Ford Senior Players Championship||−14 (67-68-72-67=274)||3 strokes|| Isao Aoki, Bob Dickson,
Jack Kiefer, Dave Stockton
- Senior PGA Tour playoff record (0–1)
|1||1997||Home Depot Invitational||Jim Dent, Lee Trevino||Dent won with birdie on second extra hole
Gilbert eliminated on first hole
- Senior major championship is shown in bold.
Champions Tour major championships
|1997||Ford Senior Players Championship||−14 (67-68-72-67=274)||3 strokes|| Isao Aoki, Bob Dickson,
Jack Kiefer, Dave Stockton
U.S. national team appearances
- PGA Cup: 1976 (winners), 1977 (tie), 1981 (tie), 1982 (winners), 1983, 1992 (winners)
- "A Lesson from Gilbert's Death". Sports Illustrated CNNSI.com. January 28, 1998.