Larry Grossman (composer)
He started working in New York City as a vocal coach and accompanist. One of his songs was used in the revue No Shoestrings (1962). He began working with lyricist Hal Hackaday in 1968, and their first work together was the title song for the play Play It Again, Sam (1969). Their collaboration led to Grossman's Broadway debut in 1970 with Minnie's Boys. He went on to write the scores for four musicals including Goodtime Charley (1975) and Grind . He has worked with a number of lyricists, and often in collaboration with theatre director Harold Prince.
He composed the musical Paper Moon in 1993, based on the 1971 novel Addie Pray and the 1973 film, with the book by Martin Casella and lyrics by Ellen Fitzhugh and Carol Hall. It ran at the Paper Mill Playhouse, Millburn, New Jersey in 1993, the Walnut Street Theatre, Philadelphia in 1996, and Ford's Theatre, Washington, DC in 1997.
He has worked on specials for Bing Crosby, Shirley MacLaine ("Shirley MacLaine at the Lido", "Shirley MacLaine... 'Every Little Movement'", and "Shirley MacLaine... Illusions"), Liza Minnelli & Goldie Hawn ("Goldie and Liza Together"), and Andy Williams.
He has also written incidental music for several shows including End of the World and Play Memory.
- Minnie's Boys (1970)
- Goodtime Charley (1975)
- Snoopy!!! The Musical (1975)
- A Doll's Life (1982)
- Ann Reinking...Music Loves Me (1984)
- Diamonds (1984)
- Grind (1985)
- Paper Moon (1993) 
- The Gay Century Songbook (2000)
- Tom Jones (2001)
- It Must Be Him (2010)
- A Christmas Memory (2010)
Awards and nominations
- 1985 Tony Award and Drama Desk Award, Best Original Score for Grind (nomination)
- 1983 Tony Award and Drama Desk Award, Best Original Score for A Doll's Life (nomination)
- Waa-Mu Salutes Eight Great Alums waamu.northwestern.edu, retrieved August 19, 2010
- Suskin, Steven. Show Tunes: The Songs, Shows and Careers of Broadway's Major Composers, Oxford University Press US, 2010 (Ed. 4), ISBN 0-19-531407-7, p. 341
- Suskin, Steven. The Sound of Broadway Music: A Book of Orchestrators and Orchestrations, p.350, New York: Oxford University Press, 2009
- The Happiest Corpse I've Ever Seen: The Last Twenty-Five Years of the Broadway Musical, P.99, Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004
- Klein, Alvin."'Paper Moon' Changes Its Outlook as a Musical'The New York Times, September 26, 1993
- "New Paper Moon Rises Over Philadelphia" playbill.com, September 29, 1996
- "Internet Movie Database Listing" imdb.com, retrieved August 19, 2010
- "The Muppet Show 2, Louise Gold site" qsulis.demon.co.uk, retrieved August 19, 2010
- Loveridge, Lizzie."Snoopy the Musical Review" curtainup.com, February 17, 2003
- "'Paper Moon' production listing" abouttheartists.com, retrieved August 19, 2010