Larry E. McKibben
|Member of the Iowa Senate|
from the 22nd district
January 13, 1997 – 2008
|Preceded by||Randal Giannetto|
|Succeeded by||Steve Sodders|
|Born||January 5, 1947|
Larry E. McKibben (born January 5, 1947 in Marshalltown, Iowa) was the Iowa State Senator from the 22nd District. He had served in the Iowa Senate since 1997 and was an assistant minority leader until he retired in 2008. He received his B.A. (1970) from the University of Northern Iowa and his J.D. (1972) from the University of Iowa College of Law. He was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1973. McKibben served on several committees in the Iowa Senate - the Commerce committee; the State Government committee; the Veterans Affairs committee; the Judiciary committee, where he was ranking member; and the Ways and Means committee, where he was ranking member. He also served on the Transportation, Infrastructure, and Capitals Appropriations Subcommittee. McKibben was a candidate for the United States House of Representatives, District 3, in 1998. McKibben was re-elected in 2004 with 14,185 votes (51%), defeating Democratic opponent Wayne Sawtelle. He did not rerun in the 2008 Iowa Senate elections.
- Granting Parole in Iowa: A Time for Change, Iowa Advocate, Vol. X, No. 3, Spring, 1972
- "Moore, McKibben, Goodman, Lorenz & Ellefson, LLP". Retrieved June 15, 2009.
- "Larry E. McKibben - a Marshalltown, Iowa (IA) General practice". Retrieved June 15, 2009.
- "Iowa General Assembly - Larry McKibben". Iowa General Assembly. Retrieved December 9, 2006.
- "Canvass Summary - FINAL - ELECTION: 2004 General Election (11/2/2004)" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. December 6, 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 4, 2007.
- Black, Ken (February 15, 2008). "State senator Larry McKibben to retire". Marshalltown Times Republican. Marshalltown, IA. Retrieved June 15, 2009.
Sen. Larry McKibben, R-Marshalltown, has announced his retirement after the current regular session of the Legislature adjourns later this spring. Speculation that McKibben would retire has been consistent for the past several months. The three-term senator would have been facing re-election later this year. Four years ago, he narrowly won re-election against Marshalltown fire fighter Wayne Sawtelle. "It was time that my wife and I thought we both needed to spend some time together," McKibben explained. "It's become more and more difficult to work 70 to 80 hours a week from January to April and maintain a tax practice."
- Iowa General Assembly - Senator Larry McKibben official government website
- Project Vote Smart - Larry McKibben profile
- Follow the Money - Larry McKibben
- Iowa Senate Republicans - Larry McKibben profile
- Campaign website
| 32nd District
1997 – 2003
| 22nd District
2003 – 2008
|This article about an Iowa politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|