|Birth name||Lawrence Gordon Muhoberac, Jr.|
|Also known as||Larry Owens, Larry Gordon|
February 12, 1937 |
Louisiana, United States
|Associated acts||Elvis Presley, Woody Herman, TCB Band|
Muhoberac is widely known as the original keyboardist in Elvis Presley’s TCB Band. He first appeared live with the group at Presley’s Hotel International debut in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 31, 1969, After years of touring, Glen Hardin replaced him on piano. Other members from the TCB era were James Burton (lead guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), John Wilkinson (rhythm guitar) and Ronnie Tutt (drums).
Muhoberac was born and raised in Louisiana and began playing accordion and piano at age five. He went on the road with Woody Herman at 20, and moved to Memphis, Tennessee in 1959. In 1961, then using the pseudonym "Larry Owens", his band played two of Presley’s Memphis charity concerts.
He moved to the West Coast in the early sixties to work as a studio musician. There, Presley first recruited him to work on his movie soundtracks. He developed a reputation as a top player, working first with Elvis and later with Neil Diamond, Tina Turner, Ray Charles, Tanya Tucker, Ray Conniff and Barbra Streisand among others. Later in his career he arranged and conducted for numerous successful acts, including Seals & Crofts and Contemporary Christian band The Archers. He emigrated to Australia in 1986 where he continued to produce and arrange.
As of February, 2015, after years of suffering from dementia, Larry was permanently admitted to a care facility. However, his musical skills are still outstanding.
- Nancy & Lee Again (1972) Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood (arranger)
- Woman (Nancy Sinatra album)|Woman (1973) Nancy Sinatra (arranger)
- Cherry Smiles: The Rare Singles (2009) Nancy Sinatra (band leader, piano)
- Frankie & Johnny (1966) Elvis Presley (keyboards)
- Paradise Hawaiian Style (1966) Elvis Presley (keyboards)
- Speedway (1968) Elvis Presley (keyboards)
- Stay Away Joe (1968) Elvis Presley (keyboards)
- Elvis: In Person At The International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada [LIVE] April 1970 (keyboards)
- Elvis On Stage: February 1970 –LIVE- (keyboards)
- Rock Requiem (1971) Lalo Schifrin
- Stony End (1971) Barbra Streisand (keyboards)
- Summer Breeze (1972) Seals & Crofts (keyboards/arrangements)
- Diamond Girl (1973) Seals & Crofts (keyboards/arrangements)
- I Am I Said (1973) Neil Diamond (keyboards)
- Fresh Surrender (1976) The Archers (arrangements/keyboards)
- TNT (1978) Tanya Tucker (keyboards)
- Stand Up! (1979) The Archers (producer/arranger/keyboards)
- "America's Greatest Hero" (1984) Joey Scarbury (piano)
- "Stormy Weather" (1991) Grace Knight (producer/arranger)
- "Neon Ballroom" (1999) silverchair (arranger)
- "Diorama" (2002) silverchair (arranger)