Larry Sharpe (politician)
Larry David Sharpe
July 12, 1968
|Residence||Astoria, Queens, New York|
|Education||University of Maryland University College (B.A.)|
|Political party||Libertarian Party|
|Service/||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1986–1993|
|Part of a series on|
Larry David Sharpe (born July 12, 1968) is an American business consultant, entrepreneur, and political activist. He was a candidate for the Libertarian Party nomination for Vice President of the United States in 2016, losing narrowly to former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld. Sharpe was also the Libertarian nominee for Governor of New York in the 2018 gubernatorial election. Sharpe is the founder and Managing Director of the online business training company Neo-Sage Group, Inc.
Early life and career
Sharpe was born on July 12, 1968 in Manhattan, New York and was adopted as an infant. He joined the United States Marines Corps at age 17, and he received a Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology from the University of Maryland University College. After working as an English teacher, Sharpe founded Prime Distribution Inc. (a trucking and distribution company which he later sold) in 2001. In 2004, Sharpe built an online business training company called Neo-Sage Group, Inc., for which he serves as Managing Director.
As a Libertarian Party activist, Sharpe has outlined a vision to grow the party by encouraging grassroots Libertarian Party campaigns across the country. Sharpe served on the Libertarian National Committee as the Alternate for Region 8, until his resignation in February 2018 because of an internal LNC vote that failed to oust the party's then-vice chair, Arvin Vohra, following public controversial comments made by Vohra.
2016 vice presidential campaign
Sharpe was a candidate for the 2016 Libertarian vice presidential nomination. During the 2016 Libertarian National Convention, he placed second on the first ballot with 30.4% of the vote. Because no one received a majority on that ballot, a second ballot vote was held. Sharpe received 46.9% of the vote on the second ballot, finishing second to former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld.
2018 New York gubernatorial campaign
On July 12, 2017, Sharpe announced his 2018 candidacy for Governor of New York, making him the first person to mount a challenge to incumbent Governor Andrew Cuomo. Sharpe received the Libertarian nomination on April 21, 2018 and Andrew Hollister was selected as the Lieutenant Governor nominee for the ticket.
Sharpe's campaign raised $102,596 prior to the first filing deadline, which was second to Andrew Cuomo's re-election campaign. As of October 10, 2018, Sharpe raised $449,515 for his campaign, the highest amount ever raised by a Libertarian gubernatorial candidate in New York. Sharpe in addition was the only candidate in the race to have visited all 62 counties on the campaign trail.
On Election Day, Sharpe received 90,816 votes (1.6%) and came in fourth place behind Cuomo, Republican challenger Marc Molinaro, and Green Party candidate Howie Hawkins. Sharpe's vote total achieved automatic ballot access for the Libertarian Party of New York for the first time in the party's history.
|Endorsements for Larry Sharpe|
Sharpe supports reducing regulations such as occupational licensing as well as legalizing marijuana and decriminalizing other drugs. Sharpe has advocated for raising revenue for New York by selling naming rights to bridges and highways.
Sharpe considers himself "pro-choice" as well as "anti-abortion". While running for Governor, he vowed to reduce the number of abortions in New York state by increasing availability of other options instead of establishing regulations on abortion.
Sharpe favors marijuana legalization, calling for hemp and marijuana to be "regulated like onions". Sharpe has said he would pardon those convicted of victimless crimes or otherwise non-violent offenses.
Sharpe has supported deregulation to stimulate economic growth, ending the funding of enforcement of unnecessary regulations. In particular, Sharpe has cited occupational licensing as a hurdle to small business, describing mandatory licensing for jobs such as barbers and dog walkers as "barriers to entry and a tax on the poor." Additionally, to reduce the state deficit, Sharpe has called for eliminating unfunded mandates. He has vowed to follow this reduction in state spending with a reduction in property taxes and the ultimate repeal of the New York state income tax.
Sharpe has called for the decentralization of education in New York State and has proposed a "K-10" model, reducing the span of high school to ready students for the workforce and/or college. Sharpe has also rejected standardized testing until high school. He stated, "everyone should be able to opt out of testing at any time....it puts kids who have special needs at a huge disadvantage. Kids who do not test well are labeled as dumb."
Sharpe vowed to repeal the NY SAFE Act by 2020 and pardon those convicted under its provisions. Sharpe supports allowing school teachers and staff to carry firearms on school grounds, on a voluntary basis.
|Working Families||Andrew Cuomo||106,008||1.83|
|Women's Equality||Andrew Cuomo||25,510||0.44|
|Total||Andrew Cuomo/Kathy Hochul (incumbent)||3,353,495||57.90%|
|Total||Marcus Molinaro/Julie Killian||2,089,228||36.07|
|Green||Howie Hawkins/Jia Lee||95,716||1.65|
|Libertarian||Larry Sharpe/Andrew Hollister||90,816||1.57|
|SAM||Stephanie Miner/Michael Volpe||51,367||.89|
- Doherty, Brian "Meet the Libertarian Party's VP Candidates", Reason, May 28, 2016, retrieved December 3, 2016
- Libertarian Party, Larry Sharpe, Libertarian Party, retrieved December 3, 2016
- Meet Larry Sharpe, Larry Sharpe for Governor, retrieved 13 August 2018
- Sharpe, Larry. "Issues". Sharpe4VP.com. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Neo-Sage Forum". Neo-sage-forum.com. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Welch, Matt "Selling Liberty", Reason, February 2018, retrieved 19 January 2018
- Doherty, Brian (7 February 2018), "Larry Sharpe, Libertarian Candidate for Governor of New York, Quits the Party's National Committee", Reason, retrieved 20 February 2018
- "Will Coley drops out and endorses Sharpe for LP VP". C-SPAN. 29 May 2016. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Here's What Happened at the Libertarian National Convention".
- Lyman, Andy (4 June 2016). "Naked candidates, frosty delegates and choosing a candidate: The quest for the White House". NM Political Report. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Spector, Joseph (December 12, 2017). "Kolb becomes first Republican to officially announce run against Cuomo". Democrat and Chronicle. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "LPNY Holds 46th Annual Convention; Larry Sharpe Nominated for Governor - Libertarian Party of New York". Lpnewyork.org. 22 April 2018. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Mahoney, Bill (January 25, 2018). "A New York rarity: A serious Libertarian candidate". Politico. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Welch, Matt (October 31, 2018). "Libertarian Larry Sharpe Has Raised a Record $450,000 in New York Governor's Race". Reason. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Reyner, Solange (November 7, 2018). "Libertarian Party Gets Ballot Line in NY State". Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- "Gary Johnson Endorses Larry Sharpe for NY Governor". October 26, 2017. Retrieved October 28, 2017.
- "Governor Bill Weld Endorses Larry Sharpe for Governor of New York at SFL Conference". TheJackNews. November 6, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Goodale, Steve (July 17, 2018). "Brooke Harris becomes first elected NY GOP official to endorse Larry Sharpe for governor". News Growl. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Bowden, Craig (February 3, 2018). "ENDORSEMENT – LARRY SHARPE". Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- "Joseph Byrne". Facebook.com. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Michelle Darnell". Facebook.com. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- "Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- "Michael McDermott". Facebook.com. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Austin Petersen on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Stevan Porter on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Tosone4Congress on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Rosenbeck, James (October 31, 2018). "Larry Sharpe can win on election day". The Daily News. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Wildstar Endorses Larry Sharpe For Governor". September 19, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- "Best of the Program with Larry Sharpe - 10/1/18 - Glenn Beck - Omny.fm". Omny.fm. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Shannon Joy". Facebook.com. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Joanne Nosuchinsky on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Evan Roberts on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Joe Rogan Experience #1167 - Larry Sharpe". YouTube. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "A Libertarian Running for Governor of New York (Larry Sharpe Full Interview)". YouTube. 13 July 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Bill Schulz on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Gutfeld: Why election stress only damages the left". YouTube. 3 November 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- Confer, Bob (September 19, 2018). "CONFER: The sharpest candidate for governor". Niagara Gazette. Retrieved September 23, 2018.
- "Jeremy "Spartacus" Frankel on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Stossel, John (November 2, 2018). "John Stossel: Libertarian has sharp ideas for NY". Trib Live. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "Matt Welch on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Eric July on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Gerald Walker on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Aron Price on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Matthew Kolken on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Dear New York: Elect Larry Sharpe - 71 Republic". 71republic.com. 3 June 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Libertarian Youth Caucus". Facebook.com. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Apologies to Our Republican, Libertarian and Independent Supporters". Mailchi.mp. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Monroe County Libertarian Party". Facebook.com. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Kolstee, Andrew (April 10, 2018). "Onondaga LP Chapter Endorses Candidates, Elects Officers". Libertarian Party of New York. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- "OtsegoCountyLibertarians on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Willis, Scott, Liam McMonagle, and Chris Bolt (February 19, 2018). "Libertarian Candidate for Gov: I have Solutions to Problems that Two Party System Can't Solve". WAER. Retrieved February 20, 2018.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- "Larry Sharpe expected to receive Libertarian Party endorsement for Governor". Binghamton Homepage. March 20, 2018. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Mack, Megan; Dawson, Evan (September 14, 2018). "Coming up on Connections: Friday, September 14". WXXI News. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Reynolds, Nick (July 6, 2018). "Libertarian candidate for Governor Larry Sharpe visits Tompkins County". Ithaca.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Willis, Scott; McMonagle, Liam; Bolt, Chris (February 19, 2018). "Libertarian Candidate for Gov: I have Solutions to Problems that Two Party System Can't Solve". WAER 88.3. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Crowley, Peter (July 7, 2018). "Sharpe seeks a less paternal government". Adirondack Daily Enterprise. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Mooney, Cody (August 12, 2018). "Larry Sharpe Makes a Stop in Little Falls". WKTV. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Kendrick, Jim (May 8, 2018). "Governor candidate Larry Sharpe shares appeal in area visit". Livingston County News. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Harding, Robert (June 17, 2018). "Eye on NY: Larry Sharpe, Libertarian candidate for NY governor, brings message to Auburn". auburnpub.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Mahan, Lori (August 23, 2018). "Let Teachers Teach with New York State Governor Candidate Larry Sharpe". Saratoga Today. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Silberstein, Rachel (May 2, 2018). "3 third-party candidates for governor to watch". Albany Times Union. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Baker, Chris (September 17, 2018). "Legal weed and decentralized education: Can a Libertarian win NY's gov race?". Syracuse.com. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Wallace, Lexie (June 13, 2018). "NY Gov long shot Larry Sharpe visits Oswego". Oswego County News Now. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Sharpe mounts campaign to challenge Cuomo". Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "New York State Unofficial Election Night Results". Retrieved November 7, 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Larry Sharpe (politician)|
|Party political offices|
| Libertarian nominee for Governor of New York