Larry Siedentop (born Chicago 1936) is a U.S.-born British political philosopher with a special interest in nineteenth-century French liberalism. He is the author of Democracy in Europe, and an occasional contributor to several major British daily newspapers, including the Financial Times and The Times.
Siedentop attended Hope College, a liberal arts college in Michigan affiliated with the Reformed Church in America, and Harvard University, where he received his AM degree. He then received a DPhil from the University of Oxford (equivalent to a PhD elsewhere) for a thesis on the thought of Joseph de Maistre and Maine de Biran, written at Magdalen College, Oxford, under the supervision of Sir Isaiah Berlin.
After retiring from Oxford Siedentop was a Visiting Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in Wassenaar, Queen Victoria Eugenia Professor at the Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, and a Visiting Fellow in Philosophy and Public Affairs at the University of St Andrews in Scotland.
In November 2004 Siedentop was invested with a CBE for services to political thought and higher education.
Selected Books and Articles
Books as author:
- Larry Siedentop (1994). 'Tocqueville (Past Masters)'. ISBN 978-0192876904.,
- Larry Siedentop (2001). 'Democracy in Europe'. ISBN 978-0231123778.
- Larry Siedentop (2014). 'Inventing the Individual (The Origins of Western Liberalism)'. Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0713996449.
Books as editor:
- translation of: Francois Guizot (1828). The History of Civilization in Europe. ISBN 978-0140446654.
- (with David Miller): various (1985). 'The Nature of Political Theory'. ISBN 978-0198274735., which is a collection of essays by and about political philosopher John Plamenatz.
- Siedentop, Larry (2009-10-14). ""A Nation Stuck in Selfish Mode: Too Much Liberalism is Quite the Wrong Diagnosis for British Decline"". The Independent (London). Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Siedentop, Larry (2014-01-23). ""Remember the Religious Roots of Liberal Thought"". The Financial Times (London). Retrieved 2015-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larry Siedentop.|
- Penguin Press, 2000
- Oxford University Press, 1994
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|