Sloman at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival
|Born||1950 (age 69–70)|
Larry "Ratso" Sloman (born 1950) is a New York-based author.
Sloman was born into a middle-class Jewish family from Queens. His nickname Ratso came from Joan Baez who said Sloman looked like Dustin Hoffman's character Ratso Rizzo In Midnight Cowboy
He is best known for his collaboration with Howard Stern on the radio personality's two best-selling books, Private Parts and Miss America. He also appears in all of Kinky Friedman's mystery novels as the Dr. Watson to Kinky's Sherlock. Sloman wrote an account of Bob Dylan's 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour, On the Road with Bob Dylan. He has also penned Reefer Madness, a history of marijuana use in the United States, Thin Ice, an account of one season with the New York Rangers hockey team, Steal This Dream, an oral biography of Abbie Hoffman.
His book The Secret Life of Houdini, written with magic historian William Kalush, presented research that attempted to prove that early 20th-century American magician Harry Houdini was a spy. The authors also raised the possibility that Houdini had been murdered by a cabal of Spiritualists, prompting Houdini's great-nephew to call for an exhumation of the magician's body to test for poisoning.
Starting in 1985, for a few years Sloman served as executive editor of National Lampoon magazine.
On 5th April 2019 he released an album STUBBORN HEART that includes a duet with Nick Cave, amongst others.
- Sloman, Larry; Kinky Friedman (August 2002) . On the Road With Bob Dylan. Bantam, Three Rivers Press. ISBN 9780553116410.
- Sloman, Larry (1979). Reefer Madness: The History of Marijuana in America. Bobbs-Merrill. ISBN 978-0-672-52423-3.
- Sloman, Larry (1982). Thin Ice: A Season in Hell with the New York Rangers. Morrow. ISBN 978-0-688-00628-0.
- Stern, Howard; Larry Sloman (October 1993). Judith Regan (ed.). Private Parts (1st ed.). New York, New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-671-88016-3. OCLC 28968496.
- Stern, Howard; Larry Sloman (November 1995). Judith Regan (ed.). Miss America (1st ed.). Regan Books. ISBN 978-0-06-039167-6.
- Sloman, Larry; Howard Stern (August 1998). Steal This Dream: Abbie Hoffman and the Countercultural Revolution in America. Doubleday. ISBN 978-0-385-41162-2.
- Kiedis, Anthony; Larry Sloman (October 2004). Scar Tissue. Hyperion. ISBN 978-1-4013-0101-9.
- Kalush, William; Larry Sloman (October 2006). The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7432-7207-0.
- Criss, Peter; Larry Sloman (2013). Makeup to Breakup: My Life In and Out of KISS. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4516-2082-5.
- Tyson, Mike; Larry Sloman (November 2013). Undisputed Truth. Harper Collins. p. 592. ISBN 9780399161285.
References and notes
- Hershkovits, David (2017-10-18). "The Life and High Times of Larry 'Ratso' Sloman". Tablet Magazine. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Bienstock, David (2003-01-27). "Bob and Ratso: Larry Sloman goes On the Road with Bob Dylan". High Times. Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- "Larry Sloman". Bold Type. Random House. Retrieved 2007-12-30.