Larry Tye is an American non-fiction author and journalist known for his 2016 biography Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon. Tye's previous work includes the 2009 biography Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend, the story of Negro Leagues pitcher Satchel Paige.
From 1986 to 2001, Tye worked as a journalist at The Boston Globe, covering medicine, the environment, sports and national news. Before that he covered business and government at The Anniston Star in Anniston, Alabama, then was the environmental reporter at The Courier Journal in Louisville, Kentucky.
Tye was a Nieman Fellow at Harvard University in 1993–1994 and has won a series of major newspaper awards, including the Livingston Award for Young Journalists and the Edward J. Meeman Award for Environmental Journalism.
Tye additionally is director of the Boston-based Health Coverage Fellowship, which each year trains 10 American medical journalists on better covering issues in this field.
- Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon (Random House, 2016. ISBN 978-0812993349)
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero (Random House, 2012. ISBN 978-1400068661)
- Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend (Random House, 2009. ISBN 978-1400066513. The New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Best Seller List)
- Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy, co-written by Kitty Dukakis (Avery Publishing, 2007. ISBN 978-1583332832)
- Rising From the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class (Henry Holt & Company, 2004/ ISBN 978-0805070750)
- Homelands: Portraits of the New Jewish Diaspora (Henry Holt & Company, 2001. ISBN 978-0805065909)
- The Father of Spin: Edward L. Bernays and the Birth of Public Relations (Crown Publishing Group, 1998. ISBN 978-0517704356)
- 2010 Seymour Medal for Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
- 2009 Casey Award for Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
- "Hardcover Nonfiction". The New York Times. July 5, 2009. Archived from the original on December 4, 2015. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- "Larry Tye Wins Seymour Medal for "Satchel"". Society for American Baseball Research. March 8, 2010. Archived from the original on March 12, 2010.
- "Casey Award: Best Baseball Book of the Year". Spitball. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Interview  with Larry Tye about Bobby Kennedy: The making of a liberal icon on NPR's Fresh Air with guest host Dave Davies.
- Interview with Larry Tye about Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend on NPR's Fresh Air with guest host Dave Davies.
- Interview with Larry Tye and Kitty Dukakis about Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
- Interview with Larry Tye about Rising From the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Works by Larry Tye in libraries (WorldCat catalog)