Las Piedras, Puerto Rico
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|Las Piedras, Puerto Rico|
|Nickname(s): "Ciudad Artesanal", "Los Artesanos"|
|Anthem: "Somos de la Ribera"|
Location of Las Piedras in Puerto Rico
|• Mayor||Hon. Miguel "Micky" López (PNP)|
|• Senatorial dist.||7 - Humacao|
|• Representative dist.||35|
|• Total||33.2 sq mi (86.0 km2)|
|• Land||33 sq mi (86 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||1,200/sq mi (450/km2)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
Las Piedras (Spanish pronunciation: [las ˈpjeðɾas]) is a municipality in east Puerto Rico located in the center region of the island, north of Yabucoa; south of Canóvanas and Río Grande; east of Juncos and San Lorenzo; and west of Naguabo and Humacao. Las Piedras is spread over 7 wards and Las Piedras Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Las Piedras, being a colorful town, has many natural attractions such as "La Cueva del Indio" which is a place that has original Indian playgrounds, caves and paintings that denote some characteristics of the ancient island's natives. Las Piedras is located about 45 minutes from San Juan, Puerto Rico's capital and 5 minutes from Palmas del Mar, Humacao which is one of the biggest resorts in the Caribbean.
Las Piedras was founded in 1773.
- Las Piedras Pueblo
- Quebrada Arenas
- El Rio
- La Fermina
- Manufacturing: computers and pharmaceutical.
Landmarks and places of interest
- La Cueva del Indio
- Monte del Retiro (Archeological site)
- Artesanial Walk
- Del Indio Cavern
- Francisco Negrón Park
- Las Piedras Historic Museum
- Panoramic Route 917
Festivals and events
- Güiro Festival - March
- Typical Cultural Festival - April
- Cross Festivities - May
- Youngster's Festivities - July
- Typical Festival - September
- Pork Festival - November
- Patron Festivities - December
Like all municipalities in Puerto Rico, Las Piedras is administered by a mayor. The current mayor is Miguel López Rivera, from the New Progressive Party (PNP). López was elected at the 2008 general election.
The flag of Las Piedras has three horizontal stripes of equal width, the stripe at the top is colored white, the center stripe is colored green and the bottom stripe is colored blue. In the middle of the flag rests an image of the Taíno sun in yellow.
Coat of Arms
In a silver field resides a blue monogram of the Holy Virgin, topped by a blue crown. Seven silver stones border the silver field and at the tip of the shield resides the Taíno sun in gold denominated as the "Sun of Las Piedras".
- Angel López - Singer from the acclaimed and famous worldwide group, Son By Four.
- José Luis Alejandro “Alessandro” - For 39 years, he made hair and makeup to celebrities most renowned in the world of international show business and music industry. He hosts beauty sections on Univision Network, Wapa TV and the magazine HOLA! Spain, also, he made specials articles for TV y Novelas Magazine and Buena Vida Magazine. His cuts and styles have been featured in the High Fashion Week in Barcelona and the High Fashion Week New York. Alessandro is the founder of Alessandro Salon & Spa, Inc. and on multiple occasions, has been honored as Entrepreneur of the Year by the Chamber and the Senate of Puerto Rico.
- Pedro Torres - Jiu Jitsu Competitor.
- Derrick Torres-Jiu Jitsu Competitor.
- Luis “El Artesano" Cruz - Professional Boxer.
- Yariel Morales Rivera - Mr. Puerto Rico 2015. Professional model and the only Mr. Puerto Rico (in history) from Las Piedras.
- Margaro Lopez Lopez - farmer-businessman.
- Moises Castro-Farmer, political activist married to Angelina Dávila, business woman and political activist.
- Modesto Castro Dávila - Las Piedras Major (1980-1984).
- Rafi Jimenez - Broadcaster.
- Diego Cruz-Torres (1928-1995) - Korean War Veteran. Private, Army Occupational Medal (Germany), BA in Elementary Education (Rio Piedras Campus-UPR-1962), Elementary School Teacher (1958-1964),High School Social Sciences Teacher(1968-1974), High School Mathematics and Science Teacher(1969-1981), Master in Public Health Education(1972), Health Supervisor at Yabucoa, Juncos and Las Piedras(1971-1977),Health Educator(Medical Sciences Campus -UPR-1975), General Supervisor of the "Oficina de Investigacion y Querellas de la Region Educativa de Humacao".
- Jacinto Cruz Santiago- Farmer and merchant.
- Elwood Cruz - Reporter
- Juan Manuel Lebron - Comedian
- Sotero Gómez Hernández- Puerto Rico House Representative
- Silvia Ricardo - Judge
- María Elena Gómez Velázquez - Judge. Daughter to the late Rep. Sotero Gómez Hernández, sister to Sotero Gómez Velázquez P.E.
- Carmen Benítez - Notable teacher.
- Modesto Velázquez Flores - Prosecutor
- José R. Camacho - Broadcaster.
- Eugenio López - Rancher, Boxer.
- Zenón Hernández - Writer, poet.
- Francisco Negrón Díaz - Sport and businessman.
- Miguel Loíz - Teacher, poet, composer, and Senator for Humacao district Puerto Rico.
- Miguel Hernández Agosto - Puerto Rico Senate President (1988-1992).
- Víctor Santana Pérez - Teacher, historian, writer and planner of Monte del Retiro.
- Lcdo. Benjamín García González - Lawyer, has represented Puerto Rico on the “Equal Justice Conference”. Designed and implemented the project known as “TeleAbogado” which is a system dedicated to interview and legally advice people over the phone. This system has helped thousands of citizens in Puerto Rico.
- Tomas Diaz - Clay Artisan.
- Cano Diaz - Creator of the now famous "Stringed Hammocs".
- Sotero Gómez Velázquez P.E.- Philanthropist, One-time Puerto Rico East Coast Businessman of the Year, One-Time CIAPR Distinguished Engineer, Contractor/Civil Engineer. Contracted the Museum of History of Carolina, The School of Advanced Science, Math and Technology of Carolina, among many other successful constructions. Is the son of the late Rep. Sotero Gómez Hernández, and brother to Judge María Elena Gómez Velázquez.
- José Pedraza - Holds the World Record for most pounds gained in 4 months (302 lbs). He has attained the nickname "The Slice Monster".
- Elecciones Generales 2012: Escrutinio General on CEEPUR