This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Map of Balochistan with Lasbela District highlighted
|• Deputy Commissioner||Dr. Hassan Waqar Cheema|
|• Commissioner||Muhammad Hashim Ghilzai|
|• Total||15,153 km2 (5,851 sq mi)|
|• Density||38/km2 (98/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Number of Tehsils||5|
Lasbela (Urdu and Balochi: لسبیلہ) is a coastal district of Balochistan province of Pakistan. It became a separate district in Kalat Division on 30 June 1954. Uthal is the district headquarters. The district is divided into Five Tehsil and 22 union councils. The famous Hinglaj Mata mandir is situated in Lasbela district. The annual Hinglaj Yathra is took part by more than 250,000 people.
The district of Lasbela is administratively divided in eight tehsils one sub-tehsil and 22 Union Councils.
Union Councils are given below:
- Welpat Shumali
- Welpat Junubi
The main rivers of Lasbela are Porali with its tributaries, Winder and Wirhab river. Other rivers are the Phor and Hingol which rise in Awaran District before flowing through Lasbela on their way to the Arabian Sea.
The population according to the 1998 census was 313,000, 37% of which resided in urban areas. The overal literacy rate was 22.3% with a large disparity between males (32.2%) and females (10.5%).
According to the 1998 census, 98.33% of the overall population were Muslim, while 1.37% were Hindu and 0.14% Christian. The major languages are Balochi (65%) and Sindhi (24%). The main ethnic groups are the Baloch and the Lasis, the latter of which speak the Lasi dialect of Sindhi.
The Lasbela University of Agriculture, Water and Marine Science is located in Uthal.
In the south east, oil refinery was constructed in 2014, which is capable of processing 120,000 barrels of oil. Furthermore, a power station is located adjacent to refinery, that produces about 1350 MW of power.
- History of Lasbela – Las Bela District Government Archived 2007-10-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "DISTRICT WISE CENSUS RESULTS CENSUS 2017" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "Mata Hinglaj Yatra: To Hingol, a pilgrimage to reincarnation". City: Karachi. The Express Tribune. TNN. 2 August 2017. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- 1998 Census report, p. 2.
- 1998 Census report, p. 21.
- 1998 Census report, p. 24.
- 1998 Census report, p. 31.
- 1998 Census report, p. 26.
- 1998 District census report of Lasbela. Census publication. 57. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1999.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lasbela District.|